Logic Pro X - help please for stupidly simple problem?

camfcamf Frets: 1191
edited July 2018 in Studio & Recording
HELP! I'm a beginner on Logic but was doing okay until my buddy, just before heading off on holiday, changed my project to be midi based and not audio based and now I'm lost trying to do simple edits. Everything is now green and gives me midi info if I try to edit, when previously I was able to adit in audio. How the hell do I get my project back in audio style. I've tried various searches but can't find the answer.

It currently looks like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wxnct0cx1krrnh/Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 17.06.30.png?raw=1

I want it to go back to this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4pry7rw3i355lr/Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 17.06.47.png?raw=1

What am I missing? (and he's never getting on my laptop again!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2629
    First of all, there should be a bunch of versions you can revert to, ordered by date - File > Revert to...

Second of all, it looks like he's imposed a preset on the track, so you could click on the button at the top of the mixer channel where it says "Warm Vocal" and select something like "No preset" or "No plugin" (can't tell you off the top of my head).

Or make a new Audio track and move the region to it .
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    @Grangousier ; That's great. I managed that fine, but even with it as an audio file, I still can't seen to edit it. So if I try to put in a fade, it just moves the track. Although I have the blue audio file back, the track itself is still coloured green - is that indicating it's still a midi file or something? Apologies for being so dumb! :)

edited July 2018
    Oh. I must admit I've never had anything like that, and I've done all sorts of stupid things in Logic, often while drunk. Because of that I don't really know what's been done, so I can't advise on turning it back. Probably better to wait for a more sensible person to come along - the only advice I have is likely to be insane. 

That said, for an over-the-top solution: if you make a new audio track, put the play head at the start of the current region, go to the Project Audio window (Windows, I think > Open Project Audio...), find the audio you want to use, then there's a menu item for Add to Tracks, and it will insert that audio onto the selected track at the current playing position. 
    Thanks @Grangousier. I like your drink-driven workflow style. I gave up and just bounced the track unedited and it's fine. I'll start a new project and try and find a way of avoiding the problem until I can find the solution. Cheers again for chipping in, though.

It is worth getting familiar with the Revert to... thing - it can save a lot of hassle. Also, before doing anything insane...

... and is it worth getting into this at all if you're not going to do anything insane? I think not ...

... saving the current version as an Alternate. Then, as Lindsay and Tobias would say "you have it". 
    Yeah, the problem was my mate was suing it and did all kinds of weird stuff so there's nowhere I can revert to. And he's now somewhere in the Baltic. 
    It will be an obvious thing once i find it... but Logic seems to like to make that difficult. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Track colours can be edited via the View drag down menu.

Normally, in Logic Pro, MIDI and audio are mutually exclusive. They cannot exist in the same Track.

For example, in Apple Loops, some of the loops are n bars of audio. If you drag one into a Project, it has to be into an audio track. Other loops are MIDI. When those are dragged into a Project, Logic creates the Instrument that will replay the sequenced note data.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    OK- the track colours issue is likely to be a different issue to the inability to edit the audio track.

From the pictures you provided both are audio, it is just one is green and one is blue. You can change colours by going to 'View/Show Colors'.

As to what has happened on that track, it will be very difficult to troubleshoot remotely, because it could be many different things.
    If you want to make a video showing all of the drop down windows and tool selections then I can troubleshoot it.

Otherwise, create a new session and import the audio/midi data.
    I would select Cmd A and then copy/paste between two open sessions.
    This will be quicker than trying to troubleshoot the session weirdness.
    If you need to create track/channel strip presets then do so.
    Thanks guys, I bypassed the problem and opened an older project then just saved these settings. PITA and I still haven’t worked out what happened. All will become clear at some stage, I’m sure. :)
  • toescantalktoescantalk Frets: 142
    Protecting a track will stop you editing the audio?

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12936?locale=en_GB

• I tried this last night - and it wasn't track protection so ignore me... but did find out how to create midi tracks from monophonic audio tracks which is pretty awesome. I might take a Logic Pro book as my holiday read this year!
    @toescantalk Ha! That’s what I think has happened! How do you do that? I think I just need to reverse that process. 
  • Following the pictures in this would do it as I don't have Logic in front of me now:

https://ask.audio/articles/understanding-audiotomidi-in-logic-pro-x

This created a new midi track though, for me at least.
    Cheers. I think that's the mystery solved. Well done and thanks.