Waste of money

What's Hot
There's a plethora of "innovative" guitar stuff out there. Some good, some not. 
What's the thing that stands out for you as being utterly useless or simply not worth the money? 

I started this thread as I fitted my pink SG jr with Dr Neon coloured guitar strings. 
They looked good but sounded terrible, felt worse and after two songs the coating was coming off in chunks.
 Complete waste of money. 
2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Expensive straplocks when you can buy 12 of the Grolsch style washers for £2.99 on Amazon.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    Boutique clones of old effects pedals, remade in brightly coloured or industrial looking cases. Limited edition pedal colours are also a great example of bullshit marketing

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Jazzmasters.
    21reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Fast Fret.
    Always has been.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    tFB Trader
    stonevibe said:
    Boutique clones of old effects pedals, remade in brightly coloured or industrial looking cases. Limited edition pedal colours are also a great example of bullshit marketing
    People like to collect special pedal runs, whys that bullshit marketing?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    I love my 335 (harley benton!) why are gibson 335s so expensive when they are seemingly made from sh1ttier wood than everything else, and some of its hollow anyway.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited July 2018
    munckee said:
    I love my 335 (harley benton!) why are gibson 335s so expensive when they are seemingly made from sh1ttier wood than everything else, and some of its hollow anyway.
    Because the raw materials are a small part of the cost of the guitar.
    It is mostly labour and tooling.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    octatonic said:
    Jazzmasters.
    Shut it you slag :-p
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    Elixirs
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    octatonic said:
    Jazzmasters.
    Heathen! It does surprise me that they have became so popular in the last 5 years though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Lessons.

You can just buy more gear instead.
    34reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Excessively ‘aged’ or artificially roadworn guitars 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    octatonic said:
    munckee said:
    Because the raw materials are a small part of the cost of the guitar.
    It is mostly labour and tooling.

Agreed, my harley benton was £100 though, change the pickups, tuners and bridge and they are pretty similar (in my opinion of course!)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ThorpyFX said:
    stonevibe said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    stonevibe said:
    'Limited Edition' is a marketing ploy. 

Does the same but comes in a different colour makes people desire it, I think that this is a waste of money especially when there is a price hike.

Just my opinion.

Collectors make their own rules, nothing to do with my opinion that, they are all obsessed more often than not, and so will pay money for the slightest variance.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    tFB Trader
    stonevibe said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    stonevibe said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    stonevibe said:
    'Limited Edition' is a marketing ploy. 

Does the same but comes in a different colour makes people desire it, I think that this is a waste of money especially when there is a price hike.

Just my opinion.

Collectors make their own rules, nothing to do with my opinion that, they are all obsessed more often than not, and so will pay money for the slightest variance.
    fair enough, i guess i was trying to state.... if people didn't want it, it wouldn't happen.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    The constant quest for "vintage accuracy"
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    The constant quest for "vintage accuracy"
    Yup and improved 'boutique versions'

More people collect than play guitars. Which sustains the market. But most vintage accurate CS guitars go to collectors.

• midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    any amp at all that isnt a boss katana

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Built-in effects (other than reverb) on amplifiers. Rarely never sound as good as a pedal.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31586
    It's funny, Elixirs have literally changed my gigging life for the better and saved me a fortune, and I have to use straplocks on my Les Paul because it won't fit in the case with the strap attached. 

So the innovation which is most useless to me is probably girls' hairbands around the headstock. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom