Waste of money

What's Hot

Comments

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Fast fret is good.

Not because it makes me play faster, I doubt anything could, I've seen continental drifts move quicker than my fretting hand, but it stops the strings from going rusty!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Gorilla Snot.

I bought a pot because I was convinced it was what I needed. Now it just sits there as an amusing talking point.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    Elixirs are brilliant on electric, awful on decent quality acoustic, but definitely ok on mid-level gigging acoustics where the tone of your strings is much less important. 

Bigsbies are great, but only in the right context. That's Gretsches, and without the tension bar, or Teles with it. They much less good on anything Gibson shaped as they get in the way of the controls.  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited August 2018
    thegummy said:
    Haych said:
    I’m sure I could tell the difference between cheap pups and quality pickups 
    Are you sure you're sure?
    Of course he could: one goes woof and the other goes twang*

*unless the quality pickup is microphonic and strapped to a puppy, in which case it might be harder to tell the pickup from the pup.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited August 2018
    SNAKEBITE said:

Fast fret is good.

Not because it makes me play faster, I doubt anything could, I've seen continental drifts move quicker than my fretting hand, but it stops the strings from going rusty!

yes I like the 'glide' on the strings after a quick coating. When teaching and going over repetitive licks it sure does save some finger burn between back to back lessons.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I have one and was convinced it did something. But nah 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Jetfire said:
    I use Fast fret and Elixirs. I am the prime example of wasting money!
    During the heatwave, I momentarily considered Fast fret. But I have not bothered.....because it is a little  cooler, and.....because I am listening to Alnico's comment (on this thread).

But - If it is going to be "sticky" every 2 years, or even every year, should I now try a set of Elixirs?
    I think I have had one set but it was a long time ago. Do they wipe clean more effectively then bog standard Ernie Balls?
    I don't know. That is why I am asking.  =)

• munckee said:
    Beer
    wine
    cigarettes
    children
    Beer and wine? Did you read the question correctly? : )

Jonathan's obviously a cocktails kinda guy.

All us classy dudes is cocktails guys...

Ching-ching!
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Rocker said:
    Excessively ‘aged’ or artificially roadworn guitars 
    I'm with you on that one.  I wonder how many people selling these in the classified get asked - "Has it been gigged much"...i.e. I want a case queen..  The irony..
  • Beer
    wine
    cigarettes
    children
    You remind me a bit of George Best "I spent my money on booze, fast cars, ans women. The rest of it I just squandered"

:)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited August 2018
    Skipped said:
    Jetfire said:
    I use Fast fret and Elixirs. I am the prime example of wasting money!
    During the heatwave, I momentarily considered Fast fret. But I have not bothered.....because it is a little  cooler, and.....because I am listening to Alnico's comment (on this thread).

But - If it is going to be "sticky" every 2 years, or even every year, should I now try a set of Elixirs?
    I think I have had one set but it was a long time ago. Do they wipe clean more effectively then bog standard Ernie Balls?
    I don't know. That is why I am asking. 
    Bear in mind I change strings every 3 weeks which is part of why I don't think Fast Fret is any good.
    Most of the reason is the slippery feeling which I can never wipe away fully.

I used elixirs for a few years and they were ok but when I was forced to use a set of normal strings one time I realised how much better the sound was and never went back.
    Strings are a very personal thing.
    Now I just change them regularly and prefer that to using any special strings or products. 
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Tenebrous said:
    For me, the first thing that comes to mind is the Spider Capo... Why not just tune to open whateverthehellchord you want?

I think I spent £25-30 on it, and I was never able to actually find a decent use for it. Someone will probably link me an example of someone making it seem like the greatest invention ever now :+1: 
    Quoting myself on this as I just found a video of Alexandr Misko putting it to excellent use...

I think I'll quit playing guitar.

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    A Vertex __________ .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Tenebrous said:
    Tenebrous said:
    For me, the first thing that comes to mind is the Spider Capo... Why not just tune to open whateverthehellchord you want?

I think I spent £25-30 on it, and I was never able to actually find a decent use for it. Someone will probably link me an example of someone making it seem like the greatest invention ever now :+1: 
    Quoting myself on this as I just found a video of Alexandr Misko putting it to excellent use...

I think I'll quit playing guitar.

That's a very unique and unusual way of playing the guitar.

Usually people fret with their left hand and pluck with their right :p 

Nah it's fantastic of course. It's amazing how many random people show up on Youtube with mindblowing musical talent yet they never become famous or anything.

Funny to think that not that many years ago we all lived in a bubble where we really had no idea of all the mass of talent there is all over the world.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    SNAKEBITE said:

Fast fret is good.

Rusty? Really? You actually get rusty strings on a regularly played guitar?

57Deluxe said:
    SNAKEBITE said:

Fast fret is good.

yes I like the 'glide' on the strings after a quick coating. When teaching and going over repetitive licks it sure does save some finger burn between back to back lessons.
    Again, finger burn? From playing a guitar? You are doing something wrong? 

Yeah, I am afraid I do tend to rust strings at an alarming rate. I have what's known as "rusty fingers" in the engineering world.

Very acidic sweat that literally turns unprotected metal rusty in seconds.  

• NeilNeil Frets: 3614
    SNAKEBITE said:

Yeah, I am afraid I do tend to rust strings at an alarming rate. I have what's known as "rusty fingers" in the engineering world.

An unfortunate syndrome.

I've seen it before when buying used watches, large pock marks in stainless steel case backs!
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    SNAKEBITE said:

Change your strings more often?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITE said:

That's like a shit superpower! 

"Holy moly! We're stuck in a steel cage and about to plunge to our doom!"
    "Never fear! I shall sweat on the lock & it'll EVENTUALLY rust to nothing!!" 
    ;)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    SNAKEBITE said:

Change your strings more often?
    I used to have to change strings mid gig, or change guitars. 

Elixirs have saved me a fortune. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom