Vid from the weekend jam - weedy solo?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    slacker said:
    I've just listened to Neil Young play it live, he plays the solo with echo and it sounds huge. 

fill yer boots!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    this one's a bit less frantic.

this tune captures the essence of rock for me, in my top 5.

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    More gain. Your drummer is also a bit polite,
    You have to be when you've got a cymbal for a head.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5358
    @pmbomb like everyone else has said, you need to be pushing more signal into the amp, and possibly thickening up your sound with a little bit of delay/echo/reverb.

Without a pedal that means either setting your volume/tones appropriately on neck and bridge and then switching to the other pickup before the solo (and switching back after!), or playing the rhythm with the guitar volume way down, then rolling it up before the solo - whichever you find easiest, in the first instance, although ultimately it will also depend on the tone of the two pickups yadda yadda yadda.

With pedals, you either stuff a boost/gain into the pre-amp, or you could cheat with a clean boost in a loop.  On my main board I have it setup so I can do the latter, 'cos where I normally play I often want to keep the same basic sound/tone but kick the volume so I go from sitting in the mix to sitting slightly on top of it. So the last thing on the board before it goes back to the loop return is a Spark mini set for a modest dB boost.
    P.S. last weekend has now set me off on a mission to put together a mini-pedalboard similar to @modellista 's for just this reason. My (bloody awful as I wasn't really prepared) 'solo' on ITGWO is going to sound dreadful - mostly because of the awful playing (and that's not self-deprecation, it was, I'm mortified by it) but also because I would normally have pushed some dirt and some echo into it so it was a bit thicker.  Dirt and delay can make up for a lot ;)

Next time I'll be coming armed with something portable, with the bare essentials ready to roll ...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Snags said:
    P.S. last weekend has now set me off on a mission to put together a mini-pedalboard similar to @modellista 's for just this reason. My (bloody awful as I wasn't really prepared) 'solo' on ITGWO is going to sound dreadful - mostly because of the awful playing (and that's not self-deprecation, it was, I'm mortified by it) but also because I would normally have pushed some dirt and some echo into it so it was a bit thicker.  Dirt and delay can make up for a lot ;)

Next time I'll be coming armed with something portable, with the bare essentials ready to roll ...
    Pedaltrain Nano + and cioks DC5....
    edited August 2018
    @Bridgehouse (original comment removed because I'm an arsehole and didn't realise the Cioks was just the PSU)

The nano's on the list already.  Identified at least 5 must-have pedals, and the Cioks looks like it might be more cost-effective than the Pedaltrain Spark, which would be nice.

I've even confessed to Mrs Snags, in a move that was in no way related to the fact that a TubeScreamer mini will be arriving in the next day or two.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    I really must get a proper power supply for my Nano after faffing with daisy chains and horrible wall warts for ages.

The Cioks Adam looks good considering I don't need 18v or all that much current, and seems about £30 cheaper than the DC5.  Having said that, if you want to go battery the Palmer Batpack 4000 is only £65 and no wall socket required!  If you're not using any digital pedals 4000mAh would probably last days. 

[apologies for thread derailment]
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I really must get a proper power supply for my Nano after faffing with daisy chains and horrible wall warts for ages.

The Cioks Adam looks good considering I don't need 18v or all that much current, and seems about £30 cheaper than the DC5.  Having said that, if you want to go battery the Palmer Batpack 4000 is only £65 and no wall socket required!  If you're not using any digital pedals 4000mAh would probably last days. 

[apologies for thread derailment]
    The DC5 fits really well and has been bombproof on mine - gigged many times and utterly reliable supply. Not tried any of the others you mention tho
    <tangent>

@modellista If you go battery check out the Pedaltrain Volto+ 

a) they sort of intend it for the Nano
    b) it's what @CustomPedalBoards had in his mini gizmo, so it can't be too cheesy ;)

I suspect I would break a battery unit by inappropriate usage/charging patterns, so am currently tossing up between the PT Spark or the Cioks DC5 (oo-er)

</tangent>

@pmbomb MORE GAIN!
  • FYI.. I used my pod HD500x to control my Katana head (as opposed to Chris's that was in the room) Equally as easy to treat as "plug-and-play"...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Snags said:

@pmbomb MORE GAIN!
    Ta, I get it.

Multi-thousand word thread distilled to 2.

Or maybe 5: "now you need a pedalboard".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JJWJJW Frets: 11
    Hi. Don't take this the wrong way ! As you say you have been playing for a short time. I think from what I can see you are not
    playing the solo as loud as the chords you play and I think the reason is your not sure what you are playing so are holding
    in case you play something wrong ! I uesd to do this until another guitar told me just play and if the wrong notes come out don't worry because you will start coreecting them as you become more confident and you won't want to make the same mistake. Turn the gain down turn the master up if you have one on your amp more power amp thickens things up preamp gain can sound weedy ! I'm an older player so have been there like yourself. Here is my Bandmix link with demos ......
    https://www.bandmix.co.uk/john-watkins/   ; It's not great but it was just a MK1 Boogie and a PRS CE22 no pedals.
    My contact email address is there if you need any further help. Good luck.