Parallel Compression on the Whole Mix – the ‘Rear Buss’ Technique (Andrew Scheps)

Comments

• domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    Very interesting, thanks! Just wondering if you need to do it on every track, or if you've grouped them in Reaper can you just send the group bus master track to the compressor aux? Often there are effects on the bus master, so not clear whether you want that in or not?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I like the "rear bus" idea, used it on most mixes I've done over the last few years. For me, it's everything that isn't drums or bass into a 1176 style doing plenty of gain reduction in unlinked stereo, then filtering the lows and highs so I just have the midrange to sneak back in under everything.

Thickens things up nicely.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    Never considered doing the whole thing, I tend to stick to drums and vocals for parallel compression
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Its cool...Im going to try it on the next challenge ...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    The one I entered I basically approached like a metal mix \m/
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    spark240 said:
    Just tried it for my cover challenge mix... works quite well.

normally use parallel comp for kick and overheads. Never considered doing this tho!.
    poopot said:
    spark240 said:
    Just tried it for my cover challenge mix... works quite well.

normally use parallel comp for kick and overheads. Never considered doing this tho!.
    I like smashing the living crap out of the rooms myself.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited August 2018
    I like smashing the living crap out of the rooms, lightly compressing the kick close mic, compressing the drum bus, parallel compressing a different blend on a different bus for thickness/ bringing up the quiet stuff, also parallel compressing just kick and snare to yet another bus to bring out the transient snap, sometimes also sending kick, snare and bass to a different bus again along with bass guitar to get a really dirty, reactive groovy bus I can blend in for attitude, then finally compressing the master bus.

I think that just about covers it! 

It also tells you all you need to know about the quality of your DAW's latency/ delay compensation.

But for this parallel, rear bus trick, I definitely like to keep the drums and bass out of it otherwise they dominate.
    edited August 2018
    Little comparison for you on the "cover challenge" track.

https://soundcloud.com/user-617343615/sets/pcomp-demo 

parallel compression is on everything 'cept the drums as described in the vid above. 

In the third track its switched on and off every few bars... Starts with off...
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    It's a bit hard to tell from that comparison as the 'without' track is a lot quieter than the 'with' track -- but it sounds to me as though you could get similar results just by turning the drums down in the 'without' track, where they are too loud.
    Stuckfast said:
    It's a bit hard to tell from that comparison as the 'without' track is a lot quieter than the 'with' track -- but it sounds to me as though you could get similar results just by turning the drums down in the 'without' track, where they are too loud.
    The third track is a better comparison... the output volume doesn’t change across the bounce but there seems to be more bite (for want of a better word) when the comp is on.