NBD

John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
Last week I saw a bargain Precision that will make a nice alternative to my regular Geddy Lee Jazz.   It’s a USA California series precision deluxe so it has P and J pickups - vol, blend and tone controls.  At some point the original gold pickguard has been replaced with a badly fitting black one so I’ll sort that, and the J pickup has a Seymour Duncan but so far the best sound imo is to have the blend set at 75% P with a bit of the J added for extra high mids. 
When I source a better pick guard I’ll give some thought to new pickups but it sounded good at a dep gig last week.  

https://i.imgur.com/AfZoM4t.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Lovely. I like a black on black - looks classy. Good catch there I’d say!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    If the original pickguard was golden paint sprayed onto clear plastic, they are prone to shattering around the screw holes and where the controls are fastened. 

John_P said:
    the J pickup is a Seymour Duncan
    When you have time, take a look in the control cavity. Check whether the J pickup has two separate output conductor wires or four of them plus a bare ground wire all within an outer sheath. The latter indicates that the pickup is a dual coil, noise-cancelling type. 

It is possible that the P pickup is also a Seymour Duncan. Their vintage style SPB-1 model comes in black plastic covers with no pad printed logo.

John_P said:
    the best sound imo is to have the blend set at 75% P with a bit of the J added for extra high mids. 
    Is the correct answer. :)

I like a black on black
    T.M.I., Mr. 'house. ;)

Be seeing you.