For those who like heavy guitar picks - what types do you like and why?

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
Just wondering what people like in the realm of heavy/thick guitar picks - I'm talking  2.5mm and over really. I have been making my own for the last few years, from 5mm horn blanks, but it is a time consuming pain in the bum, and it would be nice if there was something out there off the shelf that suited me. I guess I'm after a strong fat kind of tone, and something that facilitates speed (but who isn't?) - I play jazz much of the time, but would also need the pick to work for a variety of styles - pop, funk, fusion, blues, whatever...

Anyhow - really just up for a bit of "what pick do you use" type chat and discussion, cheers :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    I use V-Pick Large 3mm. Strong, easy to control and they kind of stick to my fingers. Everything else sounds or feels clumsy and aggressive, brittle even. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to use Nylon Big Stubby, 3mm.

These days I prefer the 1mm ones but I'd certainly recommend the bigger ones. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14186
    tFB Trader
    Dunlop Stubby 2mm - not sure why/how I got into this but many years ago - Now I can't use anything else

I do prefer them 'used' played in - new ones and almost feel the 'stamp/pressed' edges - again don't know why but can tell the difference
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    merlin said:
    I use V-Pick Large 3mm. Strong, easy to control and they kind of stick to my fingers. Everything else sounds or feels clumsy and aggressive, brittle even. 
    I'll have a look, cheers - I do find I have trouble with some picks not staying put, so the grippy aspect would be good.
    I used to use Nylon Big Stubby, 3mm.

These days I prefer the 1mm ones but I'd certainly recommend the bigger ones. 

I've seen those, and they do look like they might work for me, cheers.
    Dunlop Stubby 2mm - not sure why/how I got into this but many years ago - Now I can't use anything else

I do prefer them 'used' played in - new ones and almost feel the 'stamp/pressed' edges - again don't know why but can tell the difference
    Thanks - 2mm probably too thin for my taste, but I guess I should try the Dunlop Stubby type. Quite agree re the stamp/pressed edges though, I'd have to file those smooth I think.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14186
    tFB Trader
    Megii said:

Thanks - 2mm probably too thin for my taste, but I guess I should try the Dunlop Stubby type. Quite agree re the stamp/pressed edges though, I'd have to file those smooth I think.
    I always have a few on the go, so kind of bed one in before I need them - I use the middle size version
    Megii said:

I always have a few on the go, so kind of bed one in before I need them - I use the middle size version
    Cheers - they are one of the less expensive options and widely available, I will have to get a couple to try. I'd probably go for the middle size myself also.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    3mm stubby
    started on these in my early 20s when I decided to play with control and expression, rather than just fast and messy

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    V-picks for me as well, like the slightly sticky plastic they’re made from - means I don’t have to grip as tight.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • So long as they're rigid the thickness doesn't matter. I use 0,55mm Jim Dunlop stainless, or the brass TeckPick ones.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    The only heavy pick I've really gelled with are the Jazz III picks. The heavily textured finish just makes it so comfortable to hold on to, and the size makes it really easy to be precise with (in my experience).
    3mm stubby
    started on these in my early 20s when I decided to play with control and expression, rather than just fast and messy

Another vote for Dunlop stubbys, cheers. Agree re the messy thing, wouldn't want that myself either.

mrkb said:
    V-picks for me as well, like the slightly sticky plastic they’re made from - means I don’t have to grip as tight.
    And another vote for V-picks. I'm sure I would appreciate the sticky non-slip feel. They do seem to make a lot of different models...

So long as they're rigid the thickness doesn't matter. I use 0,55mm Jim Dunlop stainless, or the brass TeckPick ones.
    Fair enough, understand what you're saying, but experience has taught that it does matter for me - personal taste of course. :)

Tenebrous said:
    The only heavy pick I've really gelled with are the Jazz III picks. The heavily textured finish just makes it so comfortable to hold on to, and the size makes it really easy to be precise with (in my experience).
    Have to admit I did try those once, and didn't get on with them. My picking technique has changed and improved though, so maybe time to try again.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Recently I got Dunlop Flow 2mm and have been playing them constantly.  I prefer the regular ones over the jumbo ones.  The shape is really nice and they honestly do fall off the string very smoothly due to the tip shape and bevel.  

They do a 3mm if you're looking for something over 2.5mm @Megii.
    edited August 2018
    Recently I got Dunlop Flow 2mm and have been playing them constantly.  I prefer the regular ones over the jumbo ones.  The shape is really nice and they honestly do fall off the string very smoothly due to the tip shape and bevel.  

They do a 3mm if you're looking for something over 2.5mm @Megii.
    Cheers @bingefeller - strangely, I've just ordered 3 of the 3mm ones (along with a couple of other pick types) using Strings Direct's current "PICKS20" 20% offer. They did look kind of like my kind of pick somehow - you mention the bevel, which I think is something that suits me, and the shape looks good also. I might end up filing a groove to help with grip, but will see how I go. Hoping they work for me also anyhow!

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Have you looked at Timber Tones? I got the "Fat Mixed Pack" of 4 thick wood picks - each is 4.5mm thick - and really like them. They do wear, but they also do picks from loads of other materials.
    markv said:
    Have you looked at Timber Tones? I got the "Fat Mixed Pack" of 4 thick wood picks - each is 4.5mm thick - and really like them. They do wear, but they also do picks from loads of other materials.
    Did once try one - to be honest it wasn't for me, I think partly because it tapered to the point over quite a long distance, so the pick felt kind of thin and catchy, and I didn't get a very full tone, despite it being thicker at the holding end. But maybe I just tried the wrong model - I do see images of the current ones though, that look similar in shape to the one I tried. All personal taste of course, amazing how things that are great for one person aren't for another, and cheers for the suggestion.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Let us know how you get on with the Flow picks.
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    I've just got some of the Petrucci flow picks and love them. Usually play the regular jazz iii but the flow picks have a really fat attack and a great feel / speed to them.  
    I will indeed @bingefeller - I notice the ones I ordered are the jumbo size (Strings Direct don't seem to do the 3mm in the standard size) but it's a starting point. If I basically like them, but feel I'd prefer a smaller size, or maybe the 2mm or one of the other variants, then that's still telling me something useful. Quite liked the look of the John Petrucci signature ones to be honest, but maybe it's just the nice red colour with the design on... I have high hopes anyhow!
    MikeB said:
    I've just got some of the Petrucci flow picks and love them. Usually play the regular jazz iii but the flow picks have a really fat attack and a great feel / speed to them.  
    They do sound good @MikeB, think I might have to order a few of the Petrucci ones also...