Oh oh...

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what this monstrosity was/is?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113189734910
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Burns or Baldwin.
    Be seeing you.
    edited August 2018
    @HarrySeven can probably confirm my suspicions and, then, top them by correctly identifying the exact model. 
    Be seeing you.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    In that case 

Fretboard to @vale - come in @vale - we have a project for you 
    With respect to all interested parties, is that wise?

Burns-Baldwin stuff uses some, ahem, unique construction methods. Collectors snaffle up the available spare parts. Nothing *normal* fits. It becomes necessary to fabricate some parts oneself. 
    Be seeing you.
    With respect to all interested parties, is that wise?

Burns-Baldwin stuff uses some, ahem, unique construction methods. Collectors snaffle up the available spare parts. Nothing *normal* fits. It becomes necessary to fabricate some parts oneself. 
    My post was mostly in jest - I wouldn’t take it on as a project if it was given to me...
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited August 2018
    i'm crazy for old brit stuff and have seen tons, but i don't recognise that as anything burns-y.

that neck join is totally unburns or anything related imo.
    zero fret is a burns thing, but lots of cheap japs have those too (teiscos etc).

burns headstocks scroll forwards not back, and tuners are usually inline or symmetical.

the cut-aways are also too rough for burns. the burns guys were craftsmen once they got into their stride, and their super-early rough-around-edges stuff is limited to a few basic models, so easy to tell.

in summary my take is that the neck joint is all wrong, tuners are wrong and the quality isn't there for burns or related. but i'm prepared to be surprised.

obvs harry would know better than me, but old brit stuff is one of those things i obsess about (in my  autistic way) and i've never seen that.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    vale said:
    i'm crazy for old brit stuff and have seen tons, but i don't recognise that as anything burns-y.

that neck join is totally unburns or anything related imo.
    zero fret is a burns thing, but lots of cheap japs have those too (teiscos etc).

burns headstocks scroll forwards not back, and tuners are usually inline or symmetical.

the cut-aways are also too rough for burns. the burns guys were craftsmen once they got into their stride, and their super-early rough-around-edges stuff is limited to a few basic models, so easy to tell.

in summary my take is that the neck joint is all wrong, tuners are wrong and the quality isn't there for burns or related. but i'm prepared to be surprised.

obvs harry would know better than me, but old brit stuff is one of those things i obsess about (in my  autistic way) and i've never seen that.
    You have learned well my young Padawan ;)
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Baby Bison?

Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    FatPete said:
    Baby Bison?

I really like that....
    edited August 2018
    Good luck extracting the fret tangs that some idiot has left in the fingerboard. :-p

The zero fret might as well come out too. The 'board probably needs planing.
    Be seeing you.
    Good luck extracting the fret tangs that some idiot has left in the fingerboard. :-p

The zero fret might as well come out too. The 'board probably needs dousing in fire
    FTFY 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited August 2018
    FatPete said:
    Baby Bison?

big thanks @FatPete
    i hadn't seen on of theose before but even if it has been mucked about with, the neck is definitely it and the body may be original (paint stripped with an axe, hence shabby edges), or ot could be a build sitcking close to the baby bison shape. who knows.

as mentioned, the neck joint doesn't look right. not sure why it has that channel-gap.
    this is the standard thing for the bolt-ons i've seen, including this black baby bison c1964.
    https://guitar-auctions.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/lot0058-1.jpg
    https://guitar-auctions.co.uk/portfolio-post/lot-58-burns-baldwin-baby-bison-bass-guitar-made-in-england-circa-1964/

i confused myself by thinking the way the light was shining on the ebay listing headstock meant it was scrolling backward not forward, but on reviewing it does scroll forward, whiich is standard burns.

and FatPete has taught me that they did do asymetrical headstocks on their basses. standard bisons basses and guitars are 4 or 6 in a line, or 2x2 and 3x3 symmetrical. so i'm always happy to learn something new. now i know.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Yes, I think that is a heavily hacked Baby Bison. Whether it’s even worth restoring from that condition is debatable.

The most valuable bit might be the perspex headstock trims. (If it has both of them...)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

So, anyone think I should buy it and attempt to jack it back into shape? 

I would offer him a few quid Mind.. like er £20