Budget Strat Tremolos

What's Hot
 I’m curious about a couple of things...

Whilst many cheap bridges have zinc blocks is it true that most budget tremolos have steel base plates? Are bass plates made of any other metals?

Bent traditional string saddles - are they usually made of steel?

If so,  and the cheap bridge is structurally sound, then the only genuine upgrade would be to change to a steel / brass block right? 

I ask ask since I recently picked up a strat body with what seems to be a far eastern Tremolo. Apart from the shallow zinc block, it actually looks okay - but then I’m not so knowledgeable...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10273
    tFB Trader
    I've only ever seen plated steel used on cheap Strat bridge base-plates, and bent saddles will be steel too.
    The issue may be getting a steel or brass block to fit and line up with the string/machine screw holes of a non standard bridge plate (some are not drilled to the usual spacing and often cheaper copies have narrower string spacing). You can get them for Squiers I believe.
    I'd save the hassle and Get a Wilkinson trem with a steel block and the correct string spacing ... about 33 quid, so not much more than a new block.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14415
    Vibrato bridge baseplates are sometimes made from brass. Once upon a time, there was a fashion for this. Usually, in order to emphasise the use of brass, it is left unplated. A clear coat is applied instead.

The steel block is a better material. It alters the tone and sustain properties. This is not necessarily the best solution for every guitar.

I have a beaten up and modified late Eighties Charvel Model 3. Its stock JT-6 double locking vibrato is appallingly cheap 'n' nasty but the guitar sounds so good that I dare not change to anything else.

Upgrades? The Dan Erlewine suggestions for knife edge filing are worth doing. So is countersinking the baseplate stringing holes. The Wilkinson WVS adopts a compensated stringing hole pattern. This seems to ease some problems with the angles through which the D and high E strings need to bend.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    +1 for the wilkinson good vintage style trem for not a lot of money 
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 814
    edited August 2018
    Thanks Ash and Funkfingers

The only problem is that the screw spacing is 2-1/16 (52.5mm).  I don’t think Wilkinson does a traditional tremolo problem with that spacing. Axesrus do a 52.5mm trem with a steel block.

But even better, there is someone who can make me a steel block with a nylon insert at the top of the arm socket - to eliminate any play. 

And I figured, if the baseplate and saddles are of adequate quality - then all I need is a good block...