Beginners Combo recommendation

Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
So I don’t know much about bass amps but recently acquired a Fender Precision and want to make some noise. 

For guitar I have a Boss Katana which is amazing but I get the feeling that for playing bass, I want something clean and simple, rather than a thousand and one options. Price range is sub £300 new.

Mostly play rock and metal but at home rather than gigging all the time.

any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Practice amps for bass are a bit of a weird thing, in my experience. Anything small enough and cheap enough to be a "home" amp will probably struggle with a drummer. 

Are you ever going to want to play with a drummer, or at loud volumes? Because if not, you might be better served getting something to let you play through headphones (like a multifx unit, software, or preamp pedal) or even just playing through a guitar amp (so long as you keep the volume down low enough that the speaker doesn't get damaged). 

For myself, I always practice bass DI'd into a mixer so I don't bother with a bass amp at home. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    edited August 2018
    Fender Rumble v3 40 or Ampeg BA-110. Depends if you want a few amp modelled options (Fender) or one good sound (Ampeg). Fender is considerably lighter in weight than Ampeg if that's an issue.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    For years I played bass (a guitarist who likes a change and likes to record stuff) through guitar amps or modellers and headphones and studio monitors. About a year ago I discovered you could get a decent small amp for a little over £100 and ended up with the smallest Ampeg. At 25W and an 8” speaker it’s just right for what I want it to do. I wouldn’t expect it to compete with a drummer, but it’s much more satisfying than modellers IMHO.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Markbass micromark 801. Small, light, and sounds brilliant.