The Preamp DI Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• So is the behringer actually any good? I have the acoustic preamp in that same range and its total bollocks.

Reviews are positive, apparently it is a verbatim clone of the Sansamp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The behringer bass Di is a totally different beast to the guitar one - much much better
  • The behringer bass Di is a totally different beast to the guitar one - much much better
    I think there might be one incoming in that case :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • any other steals on bass fx generally? I feel a bass specific mini-board coming on
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • any other steals on bass fx generally? I feel a bass specific mini-board coming on
    What sort of fx do you like? Envelope, fuzz, Chorus, Octaver?

Funnily enough, a Bad Monkey is a brilliant boost for bass..
  • the noisier and more obnoxious the better..plus delay
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Boss ODB3.

I genuinely like it, I have 2!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sadly, the best of the best is Darkglass. But a remortgage will be required. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    the noisier and more obnoxious the better..
    Behringer SF-300 Super Fuzz - a copy of the Boss FZ-2, which itself is a copy of the original Shin-Ei FY-6, AKA Univox Superfuzz, but with added EQ and buffered switching, plus a clean boost mode (but you don't want to use that... ;) )

£24 brand new, and capable of being seriously noisy and obnoxious - I use mine with the gain on *zero* and it's still pretty aggressive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    edited September 2018
    the noisier and more obnoxious the better..plus delay
    EHX green russian big muff reissue. Absolutely savage on bass.
    Cant really justify it when my main bass palying is recording demos and I have the darkglass model in helix native for that :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Cant really justify it when my main bass palying is recording demos and I have the darkglass model in helix native for that :D
    Yeah I use the helix model too - I quite like it. I’ve used a bad monkey in the helix fx loop going into the Darkglass model and it’s pretty obscene ;)
  • my go-to setup is split high/lows with the highs going to the helix darkglass and mesa models then the lows going to the helix ampgeg SVT, the crossover frequency and blend gets tweaked depending on how heavy the track is

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • my go-to setup is split high/lows with the highs going to the helix darkglass and mesa models then the lows going to the helix ampgeg SVT, the crossover frequency and blend gets tweaked depending on how heavy the track is

I quite like the SVT model but tend to use the B15 more - but the Mesa models are very useable
  • I usually just do everything in series for typical tones, I only start doing parallel when something really crazy is happening like octave fuzz blended against some more gritty distortion
  • I actually think guitarists are missing out by the general lack of blend between drive and clean on most amps...
  • Maybe, it depends on what you're doing with it. 

When you start doing a lot of splitting by frequency phase can start being something to consider.  My understanding is a bunch of guitar overdrive pedals have high pass filters, and by nature if you copy a source and high pass one and not the other you could start having phase shift occurring.

This particular link is about drums, but the exact same principle will apply to bass:

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    edited September 2018
    I actually think guitarists are missing out by the general lack of blend between drive and clean on most amps...
    I don't. While it works perfectly for bass, I absolutely loathe the sound of blended dirt and clean in *one* amp, for guitar. It just doesn't work, it sounds like something is broken. Two separate amps does work though - I'm not totally sure of the physics of why it should be so different, but it is.

The worst-sounding guitar overdrive pedal I've ever heard is the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, which blends Tube Screamer-type overdrive with clean. Awful, horrible-sounding thing - there was only one way to get a good sound out if it, which was to set it to pure dirt with no clean.

When you start doing a lot of splitting by frequency phase can start being something to consider.  My understanding is a bunch of guitar overdrive pedals have high pass filters, and by nature if you copy a source and high pass one and not the other you could start having phase shift occurring.

This particular link is about drums, but the exact same principle will apply to bass:
    If I remember correctly, the Boss ODB-3 has the clean and dirt sounds out of phase, which I assume must be intentional since it would be very easy to fix if it wasn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Maybe, it depends on what you're doing with it. 

I have a crossover both with the same EQ so I think should be fine...however I think a lot of phase issues are actually theoretical rather than real. I see a lot of people on a certain board talking about nudging their rooms and overheads back so that the transients are aligned to sample accuracy..which kind of robs the rooms of their size for me.

Not directly related to bass, but when using multiple mics perfect phase is of course impossible since there will alwys be some wave lengths that dont work out for the distance reltionships.

My philosophy si that if it doesnt sound like a flanger is on it then its prob fine.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Yeah with drums the phase relationship is a lot of the character so it’s no guarantee moving it will improve it.

I do agree if it sounds good it is good.

Have you ever watched the Fabfilter video about zero latency vs linear phase EQ, it's almost 20 minutes but it explains a bunch of stuff about phase shift, pre-ring etc.