Epiphone LP Veneer Removal - Advice Please

I've got a 2008 Epiphone LP PlusTop Pro which I'm fairly sure has a maple cap and flame veneer. It has in recent times been relegated down my pecking order due to another Wine Red flame top coming in.

I'd be interested to know if any has tried to, or would know what it would take to remove the flame veneer and also what would be underneath?

I'd quite like a Dark Tobacco burst plain top LP at some point so I'm contemplating a refinish without the veneer if the wood underneath would take it. I'm not too fussed about resale as it's had many mods already and also has some sentiment to me being my first guitar so won't be going anywhere.

Thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Sell it and buy a plain top. You'd be making a lot of work for yourself that I suspect would end in tears. 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    sawyer said:
    Sell it and buy a plain top. You'd be making a lot of work for yourself that I suspect would end in tears. 
    That would be my advice too.  
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    AFAIK this doesn't have a maple top under the veneer (unlike say the 1960 Tribute), so what you'd be exposing would be 3-5 pieces of mahogany, with the joins at an angle to the centre line.
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    @thermionic a quick Google shows you to be correct! I'd always thought there was a maple cap for some reason. Goes a way to explain why these things sound so damn dark a lot of the time with no maple to brighten it.

Puts to bed that plan anyway!