Joining the four-string world tomorrow, incoming NBD!!

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11753
edited August 2018 in Bass
Ordered myself one of these, as tested at the Cambridge "man shopping" day with some help from @Bridgehouse !!

I know took my time!

Going to go at home volumes through the Katana 50 now for general home use, but will probably get a Fender Rumble Studio for wacky tones and a bit of safety if I find myself doing a lot of bassing.

Hopefully being delivered to my office tomorrow, with a free gig bag, so it can come to the next jam!
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6786

Hopefully being delivered to my office tomorrow, with a free gig bag, so it can come to the next jam!
    Is that to prevent the missus finding out?  =)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11753
    mrkb said:

Is that to prevent the missus finding out?  =)
    No, bluddy good idea though, I've got a big cupboard full of "IT" stuff at work...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Bloody bass players
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bloody bass players
    Sophie Ellis-Bextor married a bassist you know.

Never even returned my calls, just sent that solicitors letter...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Sophie Ellis-Bextor married a bassist you know.
    So did Kate Bush. Not the same bassist, though!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Hope you’ve practised your fingering technique Ed
    Hope you’ve practised your fingering technique Ed
    Of course you never know what you tubers you might run into who need a ... bassist
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    The GSR200 should be fine for home recorded song demos. Good enough to get the job done but not posh enough to make a band's full-time bassist feel undermined. ;)

The spec on the GSR200 is not dissimilar to the Cort Action. Thus, it is possible to nick component upgrade clues from the Cort Action Deluxe. i.e. High mass bridge, better pickups. Those will have to wait until the warranty expires.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12335
    Ordered myself one of these, as tested at the Cambridge "man shopping" day with some help from @Bridgehouse !!

I know took my time!

Going to go at home volumes through the Katana 50 now for general home use, but will probably get a Fender Rumble Studio for wacky tones and a bit of safety if I find myself doing a lot of bassing.

Can you play bass through guitar amps generally or is that a no no.  I've often thought about getting one of those learner guitars with 4 strings : ) but explaining to missus munckee I need another amp as well may well cause me the kind of accident as befell @poopot s telecaster...

I've got a THR5, should have got a 10 then I could have plugged the bass into that.
    munckee said:

I know took my time!

Can you play bass through guitar amps generally or is that a no no.  I've often thought about getting one of those learner guitars with 4 strings : ) but explaining to missus munckee I need another amp as well may well cause me the kind of accident as befell @poopot s telecaster...

I've got a THR5, should have got a 10 then I could have plugged the bass into that.
    Have a look at my Preamp/DI thread in bass - I really really don’t think that if you are just playing at home you have to have an amp - a Preamp pedal and headphones/monitors does a brilliant job esp if it’s just for recording 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12335
    munckee said:

I know took my time!

Have a look at my Preamp/DI thread in bass - I really really don’t think that if you are just playing at home you have to have an amp - a Preamp pedal and headphones/monitors does a brilliant job esp if it’s just for recording 
    There's a bass section? : )  I use my THR as a recording device, perviously into the recording software which came with it (can't remember the name) and hopefully into garageband.  I wondered if I could use the THR to record the bass too.
    munckee said:
    munckee said:

I know took my time!

There's a bass section? : )  I use my THR as a recording device, perviously into the recording software which came with it (can't remember the name) and hopefully into garageband.  I wondered if I could use the THR to record the bass too.
    Yep - and you could run from a Preamp to the THR to give you a front end tweakable bass sound that has some amp simulation as well
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    munckee said:

Can you play bass through guitar amps generally or is that a no no.
    Yes, at home.

Not a good idea at band volume generally - the risk is to the speakers rather than the amp normally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    I used to play bass unplugged at home. Just look out for a semi decent 150w-200w secondhand bass combo and turn the volume down for home use and up for rehearsal. 

Also look for something with a decent pre eq DI out. You can eq the amp for you and the PA can do the rest. 

Thats the sensible advice. Do not look at boutique amp  and cab stuff  it gets silly. I do miss my old EA VL208.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018
    Welcome to the dark side.

Looks like you’ve got it in the loo tho..
    slacker said:
    I used to play bass unplugged at home. Just look out for a semi decent 150w-200w secondhand bass combo and turn the volume down for home use and up for rehearsal. 

Also look for something with a decent pre eq DI out. You can eq the amp for you and the PA can do the rest. 

Thats the sensible advice. Do not look at boutique amp  and cab stuff  it gets silly. I do miss my old EA VL208.
    I saw an Ampeg 115 on eBay (I think!) For £100 yesterday.. nice amps
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2520
    Cool! I'll get Jr to give some slap lessons at water rats ;)
    Welcome to the dark side.

Looks like you’ve got it in the loo tho..
    Horrifically, that is the cupboard beside my desk...

Question - could I put the Bass into my Boss GT-8 and some monitors?  I know it's a guitar processor but it might do the jobby?
    Cool! I'll get Jr to give some slap lessons at water rats ;)
    Slap?! 

You are dead to me.

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom