Removing a ‘Custom Made’ Plate From My Gibson

I’ve just bought a Gibson which already has a Bigsby installed and the ‘Custom Made’ plate. I want to re-insert the studs and try a Towner Down Tension Bar.

The seller has informed me that the plate is attached by double sided tape, not so bad I thought as heat and a light spirit like nail varnish remover could get rid of any sticky residue but I know Nitro is really sensitive.

Any tips for the best way to go about this?

Also anything I need to be aware of when reinserting the studs as i’ve never done that before. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    what model Gibson? flat top?, i definately wouldnt use any heat, or nail polish remover.
    if its one of those metal sticker type 'custom made' things, i would be trying to use something like a guitar pick to slowly ease it off, and then naptha ' lighter fluid' to remove any adhesive residue.
    nitro is very sensitive to solvents, and can be quite thin, so test anything out somewhere that isnt too visible, on an edge maybe--before you attack the front with it, good luck.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Definitely not nail varnish remover - that's mainly acetone - and WILL remove the nitro. I'd use gentle heat from a hairdryer to soften the adhesive and gently peel it off. Not sure I'd use naptha either to remove any residue - WD40 is great at removing gum and should be safe on nitro but to be extra safe I'd probably just use a tiny amount of light mineral oil to help soften and remove residue - i'd worry about the other stuff in WD40 potentially causing damage to nitro
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    White spirit will get the gunk off after.  Gentle heat will help get it off first
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    WD40 seems to be safe on nitro.

If you don't mind damaging the plate I would try carefully peeling it up with a knife blade first though - a Swiss Army knife is ideal - use a piece of thick paper to protect the finish. Most double-sided tape is quite weak in peel, although strong in a direct pull. Go very slowly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    I would be using a hairdryer for this. You don't need to get it hot, just warm it up by few degrees C to soften the glue and lessen the risk of the finish being pulled off.