Opinions on Yamaha MSG Custom

What's Hot
RebarRebar Frets: 134
I've come across a Yamaha MSG Custom on Gumtree and wanted to know if any Fretboarders have experience of these and if this one is worth taking a punt on?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/very-rare-vintage-yamaha-msg-custom-guitar/1307523278

I know that some high end Yamahas are well regarded, but the extent of my knowledge only goes as far as the 'SG' range. This one looks interesting, but I can't find very much information on them - bar only a few YouTube videos. It seems like they may have been a cheaper alternative to a PRS back in the 80s/90s and this one appears to have been quite well looked after. However, for the money, I could get a nice PRS or even a CS Strat/Tele. The appeal, for me, is that its something a little different. But is it overpriced?

If anyone has one of these, I would be very grateful for your opinions.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    Never played one but I was interested for a while and keeping an eye out for them coming up.  Tempted by a few but never pulled the trigger.

This is maybe going back 2 or 3 years and more, and condition and precise model would make a difference but I'd say that on the basis of what I was seeing this looks extremely overpriced. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    The MSG is one of my favourite designs, but that looks over priced to me. Also, did Martin Booth add those pickups, switches and LEDs at build time? If not then I’d view it as modified, and worth less than the guitar in its original state.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I have one of these, bought it from @Dominic about 2 years ago. I love it and I've played it nearly every day since.

As well made as anything and sounds great, mine has replacement pickups in so I can't comment on the active ones. The one in that ad has all it's parts which is good; I'm missing the thumbscrew for the bridge and you can't get replacements. (If anyone has any ideas of what might be a good fit, please let me know!)

I will say though that I did pay A LOT less for mine
  • veldt666veldt666 Frets: 83

Hi,

I have owned & played,  8 - 10 Yamaha MSG's, since they appeared in 88.

I still have a modified MSG Dlx, which I use.

Although quite innovative at the time, I think the Custom, was the  model, least liked by players.(Too many gimmicks)

Although, American guitar player, Barry Finnerty, still plays his regularly.

This one, is very overpriced, as I usually see them go for £750 - £850,  in good condition.

My advice is, through however much your budget is, down on a Martyn Booth Signature,

(The natural successor, to the MSG, & a much better Instrument).

G.B.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    I think the MSG Custom did come with the four mini switches and indicator light on the body.  But not the fretboard LEDs.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Philly_Q said:
    I think the MSG Custom did come with the four mini switches and indicator light on the body.  But not the fretboard LEDs.
    It did. From the link I posted prevoiously:

"One of the coolest features of the Image Custom is a line of LED dot markers running along the top edge of the fingerboard. A little switch where the jack normally would be turns on this groovy feature - so cool!"

R.
    Philly_Q said:
    It did. From the link I posted prevoiously:

"One of the coolest features of the Image Custom is a line of LED dot markers running along the top edge of the fingerboard. A little switch where the jack normally would be turns on this groovy feature - so cool!"

R.

Crikey.  So basically it's all original?
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Philly_Q said:

Crikey.  So basically it's all original?
    Looks that way. Very nice guitars. Not sure I'd pay that much for one though. Maybe if it was a semi?

R.

I once owned a Tokai Love Rock II which was a remarkably similar shape to the MSG/Image.  I suspect they ripped it off....

Image result for tokai love rock 2

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    Hmm I'd be careful. Martyn himself told me that the tremolos weren't of the best standard which ended up on the MSGs (not his choice). Very rare to get a good one in  good condition and you can't get parts for them anymore either :(

One of the reasons why i hat I went for a martyn booth guitar myself
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    edited August 2018
    veldt666 said:

Hi,

I have owned & played,  8 - 10 Yamaha MSG's, since they appeared in 88.

I still have a modified MSG Dlx, which I use.

Although quite innovative at the time, I think the Custom, was the  model, least liked by players.(Too many gimmicks)

Although, American guitar player, Barry Finnerty, still plays his regularly.

This one, is very overpriced, as I usually see them go for £750 - £850,  in good condition.

My advice is, through however much your budget is, down on a Martyn Booth Signature,

(The natural successor, to the MSG, & a much better Instrument).

G.B.

Agreed

Martyn has this one for sale right now. It's awesome. I played it last weekend :)

Double the price but worth it IMO:-

http://www.martynboothguitars.co.uk/project/the-martyn-booth-043/
  • RebarRebar Frets: 134
    Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice. I think an original Martyn Booth is beyond my budget. However, this MSG - while appearing to have been well looked after - definitely seems way overpriced. I'll keep an eye on it to see if the seller relists it closer to the £800 mark, otherwise I'll stay away. I particularly don't like the idea of struggling to find spare parts. Many thanks, once again   =)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16091
    MSG is a superb guitar......I sold mine very cheaply due to impatience but glad to hear @DasTurnip enjoys it and loves it.
    They are PRS standard .The active option on the pickups is quite unique but they are a bit harsh and far better on the normal Spinex setting.
    The fretboard lights are standard on the custom -the guitar in the ad is superbly original but worth £1000 at best.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Had an MSG a while ago. Lightest guitar I’ve ever had but awesome. The one advertised is double the price it should be. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5015
    edited August 2018
    The necks are pretty slim on the MSGs, and on that Martyn Booth guitar. I’m sure I read somewhere decades ago that when MB designed the MSGs (‘Martyn’s Solid Guitar’) he modelled the necks on a slim-necked early 60s Gibson 335 that he particularly liked. They're too slim for my liking but other people like them like that, I guess.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    correct sec for the MSG Custom, complete with all the switches, led lights + Brz fingerboard

I sold an identical model only this year for around £975 - so either I've sold it to cheap or that is over priced

weight wise mine was 9lbs so not light

agree with @fretfinder comments above regarding feel/neck profile
    The necks are pretty slim on the MSGs, and on that Martyn Booth guitar. I’m sure I read somewhere decades ago that when MB designed the MSGs (‘Martyn’s Solid Guitar’) he modelled the necks on a slim-necked early 60s Gibson 335 that he particularly liked. They're too slim for my liking but other people like them like that, I guess.
    I'd say the Martyn Booth guitars now are based on a standard les Paul. At least that's what the measurements were when I compared the measurents of my les paul to a Martyn Booth Guitar last weekend. The Blue one he has for sale now, feels similar to my Les paul imo
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    recall 44mm nut width - so a tad wider than many at 43mm

the one I sold was .853" at the top nut and and .920" at the 12th fret so yes C profile and more on the slim side - Not skinny like an Ibanez speed machine
    recall 44mm nut width - so a tad wider than many at 43mm

the one I sold was .853" at the top nut and and .920" at the 12th fret so yes C profile and more on the slim side - Not skinny like an Ibanez speed machine
    Yep pretty spot on. 43 at nut and a C profile :)