Opinions on Yamaha MSG Custom

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    The necks are pretty slim on the MSGs, and on that Martyn Booth guitar. I’m sure I read somewhere decades ago that when MB designed the MSGs (‘Martyn’s Solid Guitar’) he modelled the necks on a slim-necked early 60s Gibson 335 that he particularly liked. They're too slim for my liking but other people like them like that, I guess.
    I'd say the Martyn Booth guitars now are based on a standard les Paul. At least that's what the measurements were when I compared the measurents of my les paul to a Martyn Booth Guitar last weekend. The Blue one he has for sale now, feels similar to my Les paul imo

He does still let customers specify neck dimensions though, doesn't he?  Within reason, presumably.

Not that I'm looking to buy one.

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Philly_Q said:
    The necks are pretty slim on the MSGs, and on that Martyn Booth guitar. I’m sure I read somewhere decades ago that when MB designed the MSGs (‘Martyn’s Solid Guitar’) he modelled the necks on a slim-necked early 60s Gibson 335 that he particularly liked. They're too slim for my liking but other people like them like that, I guess.
    I'd say the Martyn Booth guitars now are based on a standard les Paul. At least that's what the measurements were when I compared the measurents of my les paul to a Martyn Booth Guitar last weekend. The Blue one he has for sale now, feels similar to my Les paul imo

He does still let customers specify neck dimensions though, doesn't he?  Within reason, presumably.

Totally yes. I took two guitars with me for him to take measurements from what I liked about them :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • veldt666veldt666 Frets: 83
    Philly_Q said:

Yes, I had the neck, on my last MB Sig.#140, patterned of a PRS/DGT.
    veldt666 said:
    Philly_Q said:

Yes, I had the neck, on my last MB Sig.#140, patterned of a PRS/DGT.
    Nice guitar that. I've been salivating over all the past signatures he's done that are on his website gallery :)
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 412
    I had a YSG with that same vibrato , i couldn't find a replacement arm for it as it they are an unusual size  ( probably could have got one made ? ) and struggled to get the vibrato to stay stable enough .  Maybe it was just worn but it wasn't working for me so i moved it on .
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    edited August 2018

MSG Custom - great quality guitar, if a little (lot) overloaded with uneccessary toys. I remember when these were first produced - '88, I think - they were heavily promoted and much noise was made about the LED markers, the HIPS pickups and the vibrato system, etc.

However, despite the bling, they failed to set the world alight and disappeared around 3-4 years later. If you don't need toys (or a vibrato), the Standard is a better bet (the Deluxe had Yamaha's proprietary bloated take on a Floyd - RM Pro).

NB. There's an MSG Deluxe Guitarist review on Musicradar somewhere, - Neville Marten, IIRC. He seemed to like it at the time.

As people have already stated, the Custom shared the same vibrato system (Vintage Pro) with the YSG - I have one somewhere (courtesy of Mr. @Funkfingers). Have to say that the VP vibrato is (IMHO) a clunky POS.

It has to be said, I'm not a huge fan of the MSG range (or Martyn Booth guitars in general - for the same reason I'm left cold by PRS), but they're interesting historically.

The guitar you originally posted up in Glasgow is about 50% overpriced.The line about the Custom being a "rare beast indeed" in the ad is fluff - they're not that rare.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited August 2018
    There's an MSG Deluxe Guitarist review on Musicradar somewhere, - Neville Marten, IIRC. He seemed to like it at the time.
    He would! MB and NM are old pals from their time at Rosetti.

As people have already stated, the Custom shared the same vibrato system (Vintage Pro) with the YSG - I have one somewhere (courtesy of Mr. @Funkfingers). Have to say that the VP vibrato is (IMHO) a clunky POS.
    All true. 

The worst thing about the Yamaha vibrato is that it is not easily interchangeable with anything else on the planet. It is a fill and redrill job. My solution for its instability was a Tremol-No device. 
    Be seeing you.
    There's an MSG Deluxe Guitarist review on Musicradar somewhere, - Neville Marten, IIRC. He seemed to like it at the time.

All true. 

The worst thing about the Yamaha vibrato is that it is not easily interchangeable with anything else on the planet. It is a fill and redrill job. My solution for its instability was a Tremol-No device. 
    Yep I was talking about both subjects this weekend too :) That tremolo is crap apparently. Neville is about to review MBs latest signature model too :)

All true. 

I had Martyn Install Ibanez, Lo Pro Edge systems, in 2 MSG Deluxe models in the past. It really makes the guitar more playable. (Expensive job, tho)

Both, are still being used today.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    a few comments above regarding the trem system - Interesting how many times someone tries to over engineer the trem package and ends up with something that looks ugly or functions no better/often worse
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    veldt666 said:
    I had Martyn install Ibanez Lo Pro Edge systems in 2 MSG Deluxe models in the past. It really makes the guitar more playable. (Expensive job, tho)
    Photographs of that work would be interesting. 
    Be seeing you.
    veldt666 said:
    I had Martyn install Ibanez Lo Pro Edge systems in 2 MSG Deluxe models in the past. It really makes the guitar more playable. (Expensive job, tho)

I struggle adding pics to this site, or I'd stick some on, sorry.
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    veldt666 said:
    veldt666 said:

Graham, when you paste in the image bar hit the space bar next to create a space then it will post. As you know like you I've had a fds MSG 's. Least favourite was the Custom. I found I liked the std best. Brian
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    TA22GT said:

Least favourite was the Custom.

I found I liked the Std best. 

I can understand that.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

As requested,

Thank you, Tag!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TA22GT said:
    veldt666 said:
    veldt666 said:

Graham, when you paste in the image bar hit the space bar next to create a space then it will post. As you know like you I've had a fds MSG 's. Least favourite was the Custom. I found I liked the std best. Brian

TA22GT said:
    veldt666 said:
    veldt666 said:

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I remember when these where launched, I thought they would be just about prefect and lusted after one for years. They were very much seen as Yamaha's answer to PRS. I'd still like to try one but I think my PRS Santana has filled the hole pretty well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BorkBork Frets: 252
    Unashamed MSG fanboy here, as my avatar will attest although I'm down to two deluxes now.  The one I sold was a little lighter and a little brighter than the two that are left.   I'm going to ressurect this thread a bit to correct some misconceptions.

The trem is no more difficult to set up than any other floating trem.  Restring and tune it when the trem is level and blocked, tweak the trem springs to bring the strings back to pitch and use the thumb wheel on the upper side to fine adjust string tension if you need to. 

Parts for the Rockin Pro trem can be found here: 

https://www.fretsonthenet.com/Gibson_Epiphone_Yamaha/yamaha.htm

FWIW I've generally found the trem to be pretty reliable and I've owned these guitars for at least 12 years.

I've replaced the pick ups in one of mine with Armstrong PAFs and I'd challenge anyone to tell the difference between it and a Les Paul.  Some people throw SD jazz in the neck and a Screamin' Demon in the neck. 

I had a look at installing a Lo Pro as well but the RM pro is bearing type and the Lo Pro seems to be knife edge so there are questions in my mind at least about whether the anchor posts would need moving and all the potential hassle involved with making sure they're in the right place.  Alan Murphy had a Lo Pro conversion on his prototype Deluxe too.  I'm not a big fan of knife edge trems anyway so haven't been that motivated to talk to a luthier about it yet.  The R Pro does a good job.

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom