James Neligan EZR-OM or TANGLEWOOD CROSSROADS TWCR O guitar for beginners?

What's Hot
Hi guys, new to the guitar world and the forum. Man my fingers are sore lol.

I have two guitars, a Tanglewood crossroads -TWCRO and a James Neligan EZR-OM. The James Neligan is second hand but is in very mint condition, got a right bargain there I think. It is much more expensive than the Tanglewood which I got brand new today. 

I'm not sure which is more beginner friendly? Something tells me it will be Tanglewood tbh, and the James Neligan could be for more experienced players. I think it is obvious that the James Neligan is better overall, but might not be as beginner friendly.

Cheers guys
John420
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    edited August 2018
    Was the Tanglewood set up by the shop for you or have they offered you a free set up in 6 months time. If not I suggest you take it to get set up. In my experience Tanglewoods are not set up that well from the factory. I have no experience regards James Neligan. 
  • John420John420 Frets: 3
    edited August 2018
    Was the Tanglewood set up by the shop for you or have they offered you a free set up in 6 months time. If not I suggest you take it to get set up. In my experience Tanglewoods are not set up that well from the factory. I have no experience regards James Neligan. 
    I don't think so, but I have tuned it to where it all needs to be. I'm not sure what you meant by 'set up'? Plus it's only £99. They have much more expensive ones as well. 

Thanks anyways matey  
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    'Beginnet friendly' isn't really a thing. Either you find a guitar is comfortable to play or you don't.

This is dependent on many factors. Size, shape and depth of the guitar body. Size, width and shape of the guitar neck. Scale length (length of the strings) and action.
     Action is the height of the strings above the fretboard. The higher the action, the harder it is to press the strings down. This is often the first thing that needs to be addressed and is part of the "set up". 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018
    I've put both guitars side by side and looked at both of the strings and they appear to be at the same height and don't give me sore fingers any more than the other one. I've closed my eyes and strummed both evenly on a few chords and both sound the same.

I don't see why it wouldn't be set up from the place I bought it from to be honest. It's a proper musical instruments shop, expensive one as well.

I think I already prefer the James Neligan tbh. Or at least I think it seems better for me.The condition for second hand is unreal. I guess just a google search of both and you'll see why it would be better really.

I guess the best and only real way is to play with both for a bit and decide after a while.

Thanks guys  
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    A set up is dependent on personal preferences, it won't necessarily be done by default. 

Whether a guitar costs £100 or £2000 players will still often get it set up to suit their own preferences.

If I were you I would just play the guitar that feels most comfortable. It is often difficult for a beginner to get to grips with the nuances that affect a guitars playability. As your experience increases yo will develop a greater idea of what particularly suits you.

In the meantime just have fun playing.

edited August 2018
    Thanks man. I really like the James Neligan but the tanglewood is still more than half decent though. I can not compare or go by any experience or other guitars but I think the James Neligan will be my favorite once I've made up my mind.

I think it could be good in a way to practice with two different guitars such as these two.

Seems there's a lot more to it than just buying a guitar, getting it tuned up and away you go. I understand the action and what that does now, but whatever else I'm not either aware of, or are aware of but not aware it needs rectifying.

Thanks guys.
    edited August 2018
    I've been looking up at exactly what setting up a guitar is so I know now. I know what it takes and don't trust to do it to myself be honest. Even with the tanglewood I daren't try messing with it. Only the tuning I'm confident with. It does not have high action that's for sure. I can play it without feeling like I need to press the string/fret anymore than the James Neligan.

I can easily contact the store I bought the tanglewood from to ask if they're set up to some extent first? Very friendly and helpful they are.
    edited August 2018
    They are all set up so the shop says. It plays fine as if it has as well though. These 'Tanglewood TWCR-O' seem great guitars for the price. A lot of places online recommend this guitar for a good guitar for under £100 too and so do forum members and top youtube channels.. I bought a Tanglewood tuner today. £19.99, thought it might read better than the cheaper 'chord' ones that I have one of.
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    Almost invariably, better guitars give you more return for your rehearsal hours.
    One thing I wouldn't mind knowing is where the James Neligan guitars are made, but I'm not too bothered if I find out or not though. They aren't very popular at all but seem to make great guitars. I can't find a single bad thing about them whatsoever online.

I got a guitar chord songbook today, delivered from ebay. "the big acoustic guitar chord songbook" it's called. Not really for beginners but I will give some a try later on. I've been watching videos only recently.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    Not really familiar with the J N brand but a quick Google brings up plenty. Marketed as a good value range of solid top acoustics made in China. Which is the same as the Crossroads Tanglewood ISTR.

i picked up and played a Crossroads in my local shop recently and to be honest straight out the box either Tanglewood Uk are setting them up before sending to dealers or they have got the factory buttoned down in China as it played really well.  Every one was blown away by the quality price on the tangle wood crossroads.

If you work the price ibackwards from 99 quid take off Vat dealer margin duty, shipping distributor margin etc you have to ask how do you make something that cheap. crazy bargain
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018
    Thanks buddy :) Funny enough the guy in the shop said for a little more £ I can get a crossroads, but I wanted to stick to £99 as that's what funds allowed at the time. He also said that all the tanglewoods come set up and play nice as well too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018
    I have Just realised my guitar is a crossroads version, I even said it is in the thread title lol.

I think Tanglewood might make good guitars but I think their digital tuners are terrible. If I find the receipt I will take the tuner back and tell them to put it on a tuned guitar to see what it says just to confirm. It doesn't even find the A string on either guitar, yet the cheaper 'Chord' brand one does spot on and gives me plenty of time and twist to get the A string right so it finds it properly like it does all other strings. 

It's not a settings problem for sure. I paid twice the price for the tanglewood tuner as well. Just for it to be a heap of c**p lol.

E2a: Now I've been playing about with the tuners, the tanglewood even keeps changing it's bloody mind lol. I set it to how it says is right, then it will give off all different readings again when you go back to double check. At least the chord one doesn't do that, whatever you tune it to, put it back on and it will still say the same. 
    edited August 2018
    So... lol to start with. How complete the opposite. Thought I'd try a guitar tuning app on my phone and tune one of the guitars up to how it says to. Then tested it on the tanglewood tuner and all strings are bang on just like on the phone. So I guess the 'chord' tuner is the one that's faulty then. I think things were only registering funny or odd on the tanglewood because some strings were turned too much, not too tight to snap though, I'll not let them feel too tight, to avoid snapping.

Guess all this time I've been using a mistuned guitar lol. If the phone app says it's bang on and so does the tanglewood tuner I guess it goes to prove that it's the 'Chord' one that is faulty now. Sounding really smooth now, better than ever.