Maple or Rosewood Fingerboard?

What's Hot
HansiRHansiR Frets: 28
Hi Guys... I'm thinking about buying a Fender Telecaster but I don't know what the difference is between a maple fingerboard and a rosewood fingerboard... does the fingerboard have an effect on tone or is it purely a visual thing?
Also, is the maple fingerboard more in keeping with a traditional, vintage Telecaster?
Cheers, Hansi

TO DO IS TO BE - Nietzsche   TO BE IS TO DO - Kant   DO BE DO BE DO - Sinatra
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14236
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    50's based Tele's had a maple neck + fingerboard - one piece actually

Around 59 this changed to a maple neck + rosewood fingerboard

My the mid/late 60's we had options - however by now the maple neck + fingerboard were 2 pieces, so similar construction to a rosewood board

Since then we've had all options available

maple neck/fingerboard is often found on an ash body - Rosewood board option is generally found on an alder body - So the tonal difference is exaggerated by more than just the fingerboard wood

maple is a hard wood and will generally be more lively with clear highs and tight lows + more transparent mids

Rosewood is softer and produces a warmer voice with 'softer/rounded' highs

Difference is generally very noticeable - which you prefer is down to you  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Feel.
    Mapel was the original material, indeed the neck and fingerboard was one piece and designed to be swapped for a new neck when worn out. Not much later neck and fingerboard were separate and then as the 60s dawned rosewood was the option on fingerboards. During the early 70s the maple boards were covered in thick clear poly and that made them either slick or slippery depending on your point of view.
    So by now both are considerred valid. In terms of sound some say the pure mapel has more 'snap' to the tone and others can't tell the difference. Because the pickups changed slightly over the decades they are more likely to change to audible tone than the fingerboard material. All through the years the neck shape and also the fingerboard camber have changed too. Some say the thicker more stable necks have better tone!
    In practical terms go play some guitars in your budget, don't forget the used market and see what suits you. There are some cobbled together guitars too which play and sound great, these can be had as very good value for money.

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Some people say there’s no difference. 

In my experiance, I tend to notice the difference that @guitars4you explains. 

They do do feel different too. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    I’m a big maple fan - it has a very clear mid-range. I don’t think it is brighter than rosewood - the ‘really’ high end is sweeter than rosewood to my ears.

What it does have is a ‘snappier’ attack - which can give the illusion its brighter. Combined with Ash bodies, one piece maple necks give my favourite Fender tones.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3452
    Tone wise and playability I think there are more important aspects of a guitar to consider, try a few out, I can recommend the 50s Baja and the Squier Standard I had was a great guitar, both very different and both very good guitars for very different reasons.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • HansiRHansiR Frets: 28
    Thanks Guys for the information, much appreciated.... I already have the Squier Standard Tele so a maple fingerboard might be my next choice, if not for a noticeable change of tone, then at least for a visual variation... cheers, Hansi

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    I wonder how much difference the neck construction makes.  I think they fifties style one piece necks might sound a bit fuller.  I've not played as many as some others on here, and there are so many other variables, so I can't be too certain of that, but there does seem to be something about guitars constructed that way to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28175
    It's pretty simple; rosewood looks better than maple on everything apart from a black/black Stingray.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Going on looks alone I just can't help thinking that maple looks more authentic... beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You are, of course, perfectly entitled to have weird taste. ;)
    Ha ha ha... weird without a doubt! It would be so awful to be sensible...

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    crunchman said:
    I wonder how much difference the neck construction makes.  I think they fifties style one piece necks might sound a bit fuller.  I've not played as many as some others on here, and there are so many other variables, so I can't be too certain of that, but there does seem to be something about guitars constructed that way to me.
    You may well be right - my 56 Relic sounds bassier than any other Strat I’ve owned - the neck is pretty chunky and very stiff. Most rosewood necks are thinner, as well as being made of two pieces of (different) wood.

I reckon all these things play a part in how the guitar sounds.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

Feel is the main difference. Maple can also feel different depending upon what is has been finished with.

I find maple boards can feel sticky or tacky. Rosewood I've never had a problem with.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

I really don't like those maple fingerboards that have a high gloss finish on them... but I'm sure a well worn in maple feels great!

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I don't find either is better / worse, they're just different. Whether is psychosomatic or not, maple does seem to feel a touch harder than rosewood under my fingers. I much preferred my rosewood Tele to the maple one I moved on.
    On the other hand, I've a Les Paul Special with a roasted maple fingerboard and tbh it's only when I remind myself it's not rosewood that I notice any difference to the rosewood on other Les Pauls.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    When it comes to Teles I personally see them as maple fretboard. When I see one with a rosewood fretboard I think it's unusual and almost a niche.

Is it really the case that, since the 60s, both have been just as available? I had always half assumed that they brought out rosewood Teles in the 60s for a brief period then went back to maple since they seem to make up the vast majority of Teles I see.

My personal preference for look and feel is maple; look by a small amount and feel by a large amount. There's just something I don't like the feeling off when I feel the string scraping against the unfinished wood.

It's not enough to put me off though, I still have RW guitars. Even if Gibsons came in the either/or option like Fender, I'd still go for RW as I like my LP to have things that make it different to a Strat so it's just another tone differential.

I don't know if there have been any scientific tests done to see if fingerboard material influences tone and by how much but for whatever reason I find it very easy to believe that it does have a significant effect. Having said that, if such a test proved there wasn't, I wouldn't exactly be shocked either.
    thegummy said:
    There's just something I don't like the feeling off when I feel the string scraping against the unfinished wood.

Blimey - how hard are you pressing the strings down to get them to touch the fretboard itself? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Personally I would never choose any 'light' coloured fretboard over any 'dark' fretboard. Actually having said that I do like the look of 'dirty' maple when it is totally unvarnished and used a lot.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Sporky said:
    thegummy said:
    There's just something I don't like the feeling off when I feel the string scraping against the unfinished wood.

Blimey - how hard are you pressing the strings down to get them to touch the fretboard itself? 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Sporky said:
    thegummy said:

Just checked there after reading your post - the strings don't touch the fretboard, it's my fingers that scrape against it.