Going crazy with too many choices...

What's Hot
HansiRHansiR Frets: 28
Hi Guys... as far as problems go, this is a great problem to have but never-the-less frustrating! I really want to step up from my Squier Standard Tele and buy a Fender Tele, preferably American but Mexican is not ruled out, but with so many models to choose from it's difficult to make a final decision. I know that I really want a Telecaster, I also know that I want to get as close to vintage as possible, preferably 50s, but I would be heading for a divorce if I spend a small fortune on a genuine, vintage Telecaster. So, I have been looking through all the different current models that sell for under $2000 and I've found two that appear to fit most of my wishes... an American Special Telecaster with a maple neck and Alder body, in a nice vintage blond for $1785, and a Classic Series 50s Telecaster with a maple neck and Ash body, in white blond for $1569... and I just want to ask you guys which one of these two would you choose and why? I know at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice, etc. but it would help me to decide if I could get some feedback on these two models... or any other Tele that you might recommend... cheers, Hansi  

TO DO IS TO BE - Nietzsche   TO BE IS TO DO - Kant   DO BE DO BE DO - Sinatra
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    I would go to a shop with a decent selection, play them all, and buy the best one without worrying about where it was made and so on.

Obvs the colour is still very important though.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    edited August 2018
    From the myriad of fenders I went through in my search for a strat and a tele I much prefer the classic series 50s and 60s to the american specials.  I would say they are as good if not better than american standards.  They are very different though the 50s have 7.25 radius which I really like but you may not.  I also had a mexican roadworn tele which was lovely to play and was nitro which made a difference.

What I actually settled on (strat wise) was an 80s Japanese strat which I preferred to any of the mexican or american stuff I tried and is as close as I could get cost wise to a vintage guitar so might want to consider those.  Tele wise the MIJ classic 62 tele is a lovely guitar and used you would pay roughly what you would new for the classic 60s type stuff.
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1020
    Either of those choices are great really. All depends what you want. 

I personally would go for the American Special though I may be slightly biased as I own one. I tried a few on the day I bought it though and it instantly felt right. 

I'd definitely suggest going to a shop and trying a few out in your price range. 
    You might love the classic and hate the special. You might even prefer your Squier to any you play that day. 

• HansiRHansiR Frets: 28
    I'd definitely suggest going to a shop and trying a few out in your price range. 

Unfortunately, here in West Australia the choice is not that great... some of the better shops do have a selection but very limited. Over in the Eastern States they seem to have a lot more on offer but, with no trips planned in the near future I may possibly have to buy online... I'll definitely visit the Fender dealers here in Perth first though, as they may have what I'm looking for... In any case, thank you guys for all the advice and info..! Cheers, Hansi

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    I'd try to identify where the current Squier is coming up short and then figure out what areas you want to address with the upgrade.

Do you use and enjoy both pickups? If so, you're probably sticking with the traditional 2 single coils.

I'm guessing you are probably just after a bit more refinement in terms of feel and sound and Fender on the headstock - no shame in that!

What's the 2nd hand market like in Australia?

• bluenilebluenile Frets: 47
    To echo what other people have said, try out some different models and see what is comfortable, the american specials have big jumbo frets while the mex has vintage style frets which may or may not be to your taste. I'd only buy sight unseen if you're confident you can flip it and not take a big loss on it :)
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    HansiR said:
     I know that I really want a Telecaster, I also know that I want to get as close to vintage as possible, preferably 50s...........................
     a Classic Series 50s Telecaster
    Obviously what Sporky said would be the ideal, but given your situation I think you answered your own question in your OP. ;-)
    Well, just to add to the confusion I've just been checking out the American Professional Telecaster which comes with a rosewood fingerboard, it's a bit cheaper than the other two mentioned but... I'm not sure if I like the sound of "narrow, tall frets" supposedly to make bending the strings easier? I've never had any problems bending strings but I have had problems with high frets almost ripping out a fingernail when sliding... any thoughts on these high frets would be appreciated. Other than the frets, this model sounds and looks great...

Narrow tall are basically vintage frets but slightly taller.. I had a guitar with them and really liked them. 

If you don't like the idea of tall frets though you should stay away from the Special. It has extra jumbo frets which are massive. Width and height wise. I've heard them called railroad tracks before. 

The classic 50s is the most vintage accurate of the teles you're looking at. The Special and Professional are both modernised takes on them really whilst still keeping the vintage looks.
    Thanks for the info about those "railroad tracks"! I didn't know that so that's good to know and would rule out that model for me. I'll take another look at the classic 50s...

Yes DannyP,  a bit more refinement and definitely Fender on the headstock! The Squier Standard is actually a very nice guitar, no real shortcomings, I've just always dreamed of owning a Fender, the Squier is the first step towards that and I feel that it's time now to take the next step... The 2nd hand market in Australia is pretty good but the few telecasters on offer in WA are way too expensive, almost full price, so I may as well invest in a new one... if I can first decide on the model and then, more importantly, find one!

• Tokai!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Mexican Classic 50s if being close to vintage spec is important - nitro lacquer version if that matters to you. The best they do below the Custom Shop.

Be aware that the bridge pickup is junk, if the (2016) one I played a couple of weeks ago is typical of the current production. Not a big deal to change though - and the US ones are no better until you get to American Reissue at least.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    I went to a 50s Baja from a Squier Standard, straight away I noticed the difference in sound, the Baja sounded more Tele like, more Fendery, the neck felt much nicer, the overall build quality felt the same, my 2017 Squire was superbly built. The frets felt the same but I always thought the Squier frets felt big but after owning both for a short while it didn't seem to matter that much, I put the big fret feel of the Squirr down to the unfinished Rosewood board. The Baja has a vintage feel and has all the right vintage styling apart from the switching, it's got some great tones , for a while I thought it sounded pants until I realized it is sensitive to pickup height and needed a new nut. Build quality is great,   It's a really versatile guitar with vintage feel and looks, I don't think I will ever need another guitar, I sold my Lp, Squier Tele and Mex Strat because the Baja just does it for me, and I needed the money. I did love that Squirr though.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    Okay, I finally settled on one of the new Fender 'Player' Telecasters... white in colour with a maple fretboard (0145212515). Just by chance, it turns out to be about the cheapest, but it has everything that I've been looking for plus all the recent updates, etc. and in polar white with a maple neck, it looks a beauty! I have to wait a week for the shop to get it in... can't wait!

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    ^ Check the nut spacing/cut.
    Babones said:
    ^ Check the nut spacing/cut.
    Is there a problem with the nut...?

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    Baja is the best bang for your buck - literally!
    There's been a few reports of the nuts having string spacing problems but I'm guessing most are fine. Just check it when it arrives. I'm sure the shop would sort it out if it wasn't right. 

Also, enjoy! 
    Okay, thanks guys, I'll check that out... and yes, I'll most certainly enjoy playing my first Fender!

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2867
    Get a Baja Tele. You won’t be disappointed.