Monitors for vDrums and Bass Guitar

I currently have a pair of Adam A7's and a pair of RCF310's (10" PA speakers). I use the A7's for monitoring and the RCF's for jamming (usually Drums and Bass, but also have a Nord piano). The RCF's are nice sounding PA speakers, but they can't be positioned very well as they are to large to sit on a desktop, and for serious monitoring, they are not really suitable. 

The room is 9x12, so not huge. 

The A7's are OK for monitoring, but they are to small sounding to use when playing drums. The RCF's are fine for jamming, but not great for monitoring. 

I'm thinking of trying to replace both with a larger pair of monitors. I was think about something like Event Opals, but they are now out of production. 

Any ideas as to if this is a sensible idea and if so, what monitors I should be looking at? I'm thinking of maybe some of the Focal Shapes, Genelecs, or maybe stretching the budget to Barefoot Footprints or KH310's. 

Ta,
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Genelecs tend to have nice low end relative to the woofer size in my experience.  I've not tried a lot of different speakers in the more expensive categories though.

Have you considered adding a sub to your Adams?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Is the intention to monitor replayed recordings or live performances as they are happening?

A drummer that I tried out with amplified his double Roland V-Drum kit - yes, folks, a man with two brains! - through a pair of Mackie powered cabinets. I cannot recall whether the low frequency drivers were 15" or 18". I do recall that they shifted plenty of air - just like standing right in front of an acoustic kick drum on a drum riser. 

My point is that the drummer was gauging his playing force based on the Mackie monitors. With smaller domestic or home studio loudspeakers, I would be worried about them being blown.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    @guitarfishbay That might be a possibility, but ideally, I'd like to make things simpler. I think I'm gonna try to get down to KMR in the next few weeks to try some options. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    @Funkfingers The intention is to get one set of monitors to do both live and monitoring. The room is not that big, and it's only two of us jamming at a time, so I'm hoping some of the beefier monitors would be able to handle it. It only has to get above the noise of the vdrums being hit, not rehearsal studio loud.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited August 2018
    Ah I see. Yeah you’ll want something with decent headroom then. I have Focal solos which are pretty powerful but I’m not sure I’d say they’re effortlessly loud enough to have enjoyably loud kick drums hammered through them at drum kit volume and for it to still sound great. They are more than loud enough for me though. Focal Twins are supposed to be capable of very loud, I’ve not heard them myself