Aretha Franklin

What's Hot
Just heard Aretha has finally succumbed toe pancreatic cancer, aged 76.

RIP Queen of Soul.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    RIP indeed - what a voice - we’ll never see her like again....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Oh dear.

I'd have to say I don't have huge familiarity with her work outside of the Blues Brothers and the hits ( Say a Little Prayer,etc) but I suspect that's my loss. I may end up being one of those people who buys a Greatest Hits in Tesco after the death of a much loved artist. Just reading some of her wikipedia and certainly a full life ( pregnant at 12!) so perhaps to sing soul you do have to have lived a little. For all my ignorance obviously a truly great talent.

RIP
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14211
    tFB Trader
    just heard as well - The true queen of soul and r'n'b and a massive influence to all who have followed her  - A sad day but the legend will be always be with us every time we hear her voice - RIP and I'm now going to find a few tracks to play

Many great tracks to listen to but I love this version from 2015 - it still shows that she can deliver the goods in her later life - Plus it made Obama cry
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

Listened to I Never Loved a Man... last night. Such an amazing voice.

Sad day. RIP.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:

Listened to I Never Loved a Man... last night. Such an amazing voice.

Sad day. RIP.

just played that clip again from above, that I posted earlier and it brought tears to my eyes - what a lady - awesome singer
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12341
    Oh dear.

I'd have to say I don't have huge familiarity with her work outside of the Blues Brothers and the hits ( Say a Little Prayer,etc) but I suspect that's my loss. I may end up being one of those people who buys a Greatest Hits in Tesco after the death of a much loved artist. Just reading some of her wikipedia and certainly a full life ( pregnant at 12!) so perhaps to sing soul you do have to have lived a little. For all my ignorance obviously a truly great talent.

RIP
    Me too heard some and liked it never sought out more.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    RIP :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    it is not just about her voice - It is about such great songs, the groove and the musicians who played on such songs - The whole history from gospel and church to disco and today's r'n'b etc

Plus of course what it represents to black America, and the fight they all went through - The whole social history is a part of it as well

We'll never see such a person again with such a story to tell

surely a public holiday in the USA on the day of her funeral

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • gutted, absolutely loved her, just one of the greatest ever..
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited August 2018
    R.I.P. the greatest female SOUL singer ever.
    I grew up listening to her amazing voice coming out of the radio in the 60s.
    I bought the albums and still have a few.
    The list of guitarists who worked on her records ranges from Cornell Dupree to Steve Lukather, Keith Richards, George Benson, Steve Khan, Clapton, Bobby Womack, Joe South ("Chain Of Fools" intro - there is an extended version of this on Spotify), Buzz Feiten, Lee Ritenour and many, many more. Her rhythm section in the 60s was Chuck Rainey and Bernard Purdie and on one LP in the 80s Jeff Porcaro and Marcus Miller (on "Love All The Hurt Away"). A common thread in her recordings was that the musicians who laid down the tracks would very often ask to attend the vocal tracking sessions.
    The end of an era.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    RIP. One of the greatest voices of our time. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Very sad to lose such talent, and what a classic generation of artists she was part of :(
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    One of my two favorite singers ever. The other is Ray Charles. A little long, but here they both are:

RIP...