Seagulls.............In Sheffield?

What's Hot
This year I am hearing a lot of Seagulls where I live in Sheffield, since around May time. If they aren't Seagulls then they sound exactly the same and having lived all my life in Sheffield, I have never heard such a bird here before, I would have noticed it, just like I have this year.

Now, I'm yet to catch glimpses of said Birds, but the sound is exactly the same as being by the sea, shouldn't have bothered going away this year, I could've saved some cash and had the same ambience. Sheffield is slap bang in the bloody middle between East and West Coasts for gawd sakes.

Any Ornithologist one 'ere :)
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Too many gulls for my liking have abandoned sourcing their food at sea and have taken to scavenging from refuse bins, tips or divebombing tourists for chips. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    They go wherever there's food and can easily abandon water. They're very adaptable, prefer to breed high up but can ditch that preference if they can see what's coming and have an advantage when it comes to defending their nests.

Between breeding they can move a huge distance from their breed g grounds in search of food, often spending weeks on a large figure-of-eight cycle in search of good grub.

They are prehistoric. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    Same around here actually. Definite increase in the last year. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    merlin said:
    They go wherever there's food and can easily abandon water. They're very adaptable, prefer to breed high up but can ditch that preference if they can see what's coming and have an advantage when it comes to defending their nests.

Between breeding they can move a huge distance from their breed g grounds in search of food, often spending weeks on a large figure-of-eight cycle in search of good grub.

They are prehistoric. 
    They go wherever there is kebab shops. It's a nightmare for their digestion - my car paint is a testimony to that.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    My 7 year old will proudly tell you that there’s no such thing as a “seagull”, probably herring or common gulls I assume.

We used to get them eating crisps from the playground at school in the midlands, and any dump/tip will attract the scavengers. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    merlin said:
    They're very adaptable
    The oil refinery where I used to do contract work had a roof-mounted plastic bird scarer, in the shape of a raptor, that periodically emitted a hawkish squawk.

The gulls would express their contempt for the scarer by sitting on top of it and leaving a deposit.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    My 7 year old will proudly tell you that there’s no such thing as a “seagull”, probably herring or common gulls I assume.

We used to get them eating crisps from the playground at school in the midlands, and any dump/tip will attract the scavengers. 
    But there is this.... 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    There have been seagulls inland for as long as I can remember.
    The time of year and the species seems to have changed over the years.
    Black-headed gulls seemed to be the most common all year round 30 years ago.  These seem to have been displaced by larger species like herring and black backs. They have even scared the crows from their pylon nesting site.

Winter visitor to icy lakes were common.  One year we even had a rumour of an Icelandic gull on a local lake/pond.  

That's my not very scientific take on the subject.

Anyone seen many Lapwings?

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    edited August 2018
    Yep, I know they do go inland to Tips etc, but as I said in the OP. I have never heard any in Sheffield. I expect they are normally more common in Doncaster and anywhere east of that. I'm assuming these Seagulls in Sheffield will be coming in from the East coast rather than the West.

Someone mentioned Kebab Shops, I think you've cracked it there. They are multiplying exponentially
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    7 year old is correct: there are just various types of gulls. You'll see them wherever there is food.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267
    Yep, I know they do go inland to Tips etc, but as I said in the OP. I have never heard any in Sheffield. I expect they are normally more common in Doncaster and anywhere east of that. I'm assuming these Seagulls in Sheffield will be coming from the east coast rather than the West.

Someone mentioned Kebab Shops, I think you've cracked it there. They are multiplying exponentially

If you lived in Skegness for most of the year you'd go anywhere on holiday.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    We've had them here in north London for a few years. Noisy buggers.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Yep, I know they do go inland to Tips etc, but as I said in the OP. I have never heard any in Sheffield. I expect they are normally more common in Doncaster and anywhere east of that. I'm assuming these Seagulls in Sheffield will be coming from the east coast rather than the West.

Probably not Sheffield though, I saw a group of Rats the other day looking at a Chesterfield A-Z.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Too many gulls for my liking have abandoned sourcing their food at sea and have taken to scavenging from refuse bins, tips or divebombing tourists for chips. 
    At least post Brexit we’ll be able to stop any more coming from the sea. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

Probably not Sheffield though, I saw a group of Rats the other day looking at a Chesterfield A-Z.

ha ha!

We are in Dore, used to be in Ecclesall, had gulls around and about for a while.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Pigeons on the streets of London
    Seagulls on the streets of Sheffield
    I wonder to myself could life ever be sane again? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    when??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

ha ha!

We are in Dore, used to be in Ecclesall, had gulls around and about for a while.

No way, Dore is way too posh for Gulls.

:)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    I thought that Sheffield is a long way from Brighton and Hove Albion FC.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Snap said:

ha ha!

No way, Dore is way too posh for Gulls.

:)

;)

I think its the quails eggs and caviar we leave out for the riff raff.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom