Why do guitars....

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14238
    tFB Trader
    @Carlos - I presume it’s you who’s ‘loling’ any post in this thread about wood making a difference to sound?

If I’m right, why not grow a pair and make your argument out in the open, rather than undermine those who are trying to answer the OP’s question?
    yes can't see why any comment I've made above is worth any LOL 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited August 2018
    @Carlos - I presume it’s you who’s ‘loling’ any post in this thread about wood making a difference to sound?

If I’m right, why not grow a pair and make your argument out in the open, rather than undermine those who are trying to answer the OP’s question?
    yes can't see why any comment I've made above is worth any LOL 
    Because @Carlos doesn’t believe wood makes a difference to the sound of an electric guitar - which is an opinion he’s perfectly entitled to hold - but not to undermine those who disagree with by ‘loling’ them.

In fairness, I could be wrong - it may be someone else - or by massive coincidence - user error. I gather the mods can check who awards Frets....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3450
    edited August 2018

You presume incorrectly and I've flagged your comment for mod review as it's rude and not conducive to a good conversation in this forum.
    I've long stopped caring if people have wrong beliefs and choose to share these as experts. Life's too short and Internet is too big. Believing in tone woods in electric guitars won't kill children like anti-vaxxers will, so I honestly don't give a shit these days.
    My little joke was about all this talk of growth hormone and wood. It seemed too easy a joke to pass up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3450
    In fairness, I could be wrong - it may be someone else - or by massive coincidence - user error. I gather the mods can check who awards Frets....
    I think if users are going to consider LOL's offensive then they should be disabled altogether.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448

Wood definitely makes a difference to tone.

In a lot of cases, I think that lighter wood seems to sound better, but not in every case.  I bought a Tele several years ago when there was another of the same model that was a little bit lighter.  The one I bought seemed to sound better.

I also had a very lightweight Custom Shop Les Paul.  It was probably the lightest all solid Les Paul I've played.  It didn't have a lot of meat to the sound.  I had one in the 9lb range later on that definitely sounded better.

Having said that, most of the best guitars I've played have been light weight examples.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    carlos said:
    I think if users are going to consider LOL's offensive then they should be disabled altogether.
    I've thought before that it's quite sad that there's a feature intended to give users the social interaction that is laughing at their joke in person and some people use it as a way to try to offend people making non-humourous comments when they don't have the confidence or ability to counter the point.

I always picture it being 14 year olds going "durr that guy's saying something that doesn't match what I read on another forum, durrrr".

Of course, the joke's on them as all it does is increase that person's "fret" number.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited August 2018
    crunchman said:

Wood definitely makes a difference to tone.

Don't start that again ;-)

robgilmo said:
    Anyhow, my point is, get used to soft wood
    ...said the bishop to the actress
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Since it's impossible to recreate the same guitar and same strum/pick with the only difference being the wood; I think the only way to prove it either way would be having someone listen blindly to a decently large sample of random guitars and if they were able to tell correctly each time which wood it was made of.

I don't know if that's been done but, until it is, I don't know how anyone could be so sure that wood either does or doesn't affect the tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

Presumably if wood doesn't make any difference then there is no point making guitars out of wood?

Or am I missing something?

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10387
    tFB Trader
    I think we need to draw up a theory of 'Schrodinger's wood'; whereby wood (shut in a steel box) both makes a difference to a guitars tone and doesn't at the same time ... depending on observation. Would save all the bollocks we get here every time this chestnut pops out of the fire.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Are we talking about body wood or neck/fretboard wood? Cos neck/fretboard wood clearly makes a difference to tone. 

Or are we talking about body wood? In which case, acoustic or electric? Cos on an acoustic body wood clearly makes a difference to tone.....
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Are we talking about body wood or neck/fretboard wood? Cos neck/fretboard wood clearly makes a difference to tone. 

Or are we talking about body wood? In which case, acoustic or electric? Cos on an acoustic body wood clearly makes a difference to tone.....
    Typical bass player - lowering the tone.... :)
    tFB Trader

SBridgehouse said:

Shusssshhhh there's a great evil here ready to be wakened by the mention of That Which Must Not be Named. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    I think we need to draw up a theory of 'Schrodinger's wood'; whereby wood (shut in a steel box) both makes a difference to a guitars tone and doesn't at the same time ... depending on observation. Would save all the bollocks we get here every time this chestnut pops out of the fire.

I don't think that's far off the truth.

saying it doesn't make a difference is as ridiculous as claiming its the most important factor in the sound  of an electric guitar.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • carlos said:

You presume incorrectly and I've flagged your comment for mod review as it's rude and not conducive to a good conversation in this forum.
    I've long stopped caring if people have wrong beliefs and choose to share these as experts. Life's too short and Internet is too big. Believing in tone woods in electric guitars won't kill children like anti-vaxxers will, so I honestly don't give a shit these days.
    My little joke was about all this talk of growth hormone and wood. It seemed too easy a joke to pass up.
    @Carlos, sorry that went right over my head!
    tFB Trader
    Beware the Lord Woodymort ... arggggg I said it ... 

WezV said:

I don't think that's far off the truth.

saying it doesn't make a difference is as ridiculous as claiming its the most important factor in the sound  of an electric guitar.

I really like that image.

To me it doesn't make sense to be certain about any position, either extremes or being certain that it's somewhere in the middle, if there's no scientific proof.

The McGurk effect is an eye opener for people who aren't already aware of it.

It's just not possible for us to ignore visual information when interpreting sounds we hear. So it wouldn't matter how sure I was that, for example, that maple fretboards had a specific sound, I know I couldn't trust that to mean they do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    Because they have curves.   ;)
  • If a thing made from lots of parts having tolerances of +/- 2%, it's going to add up to wide variance of each thing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    If a thing made from lots of parts having tolerances of +/- 2%, it's going to add up to wide variance of each thing.

The weight, stiffness and density variation within any species of wood is massively more variable than any other part of the guitar

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom