PAF fans and Tom Holmes pick ups

guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
edited August 2018 in Guitar tFB Trader
Anyone tried Tom Holmes PAF replica pick-ups ? - anyone still use them today on either Les Paul, 335 or I suppose an SG - comments invited regarding tonal character and how you found they stacked up against all the other usual options inc OX4 etc
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• veldt666veldt666 Frets: 83

I tried to source some, over the years, alas, No luck.

I did request a quote many years ago  & declined on the £500 +  Price.

I settled on a Jim Rolph, unspotted humbucker.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
    tFB Trader
    veldt666 said:

I believe he is no longer making them - I've seen a few listing around the 500/600 mark
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    veldt666 said:

I believe he is no longer making them - I've seen a few listing around the 500/600 mark
    just silly money  :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    tFB Trader
    veldt666 said:

just silly money  :(
    at this stage I'm not really concerned if they are or if they are not worth £500/600 - Just want to know how good they are or opinions on those who own them now or in the past

I have a potential trade in coming in on an R9 with them fitted - original model Burstbuckers still in the case - I dare say once the deal is done I'll have  a better idea of a) the pick-ups and b) weather to remove and sell separately, or sell with the guitar - R9 is coming in from Italy so might be a while yet before we finalise the deal and obviously need to take price/value into account
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I've played a guitar with them fitted.

It sounded very nice.

Did it sound any different to Les Paul with a good set of PAFs fitted (Mojo, Seymour Antiquity, etc)? No, not really...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10234
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    @impmann said:
    I've played a guitar with them fitted.

It sounded very nice.

Did it sound any different to Les Paul with a good set of PAFs fitted (Mojo, Seymour Antiquity, etc)? No, not really...

Once you get to a certain quality level of construction in PAF replicas there is no 'good' or 'bad' ... just slightly different flavours, just as there were amongst genuine 50s PAFs. People forget that at the Gibson factory in the day they used whatever magnets were to hand, and the winding machines would regularly turn out pickups with such widely different DCRs as 7.3k and 8.5k. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I have a set that I bought in early 2000's when they were $300 (or$250) a SET and they are currently in my R8. I previously had a set of OX4 in the R8 and for that guitar I much prefer the TH as they sound more "in your face" if that makes any sense. Actually I have had the same set installed in several guitars over the years and they never disappoint. 

Like others have said, they are very nice. But I would not pay £500 for a set...
    tFB Trader
    I have a set that I bought in early 2000's when they were $300 (or$250) a SET and they are currently in my R8. I previously had a set of OX4 in the R8 and for that guitar I much prefer the TH as they sound more "in your face" if that makes any sense. Actually I have had the same set installed in several guitars over the years and they never disappoint. 

Like others have said, they are very nice. But I would not pay £500 for a set...
    thanks for that - I'd agree that the £500 valuation is a touch OTT and hoping some one will buy into it - I dare say if we are selling then we can all try and justify £500 - I dare say if we are buying then yes OTT - And yes plenty of other good options around today - maybe less options 10/20 years ago when TH was earning his reputation