Sweetened Tunings (Peterson Tuner)

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
Recently got the iPhone version of the Peterson Strobe tuner to help set up the intonation on an ES125 and I see that you can purchase various add ons including sweetened tunings for guitar and bass.  They're not at all expensive if you select just the ones you require but are they a worthwhile add on or is it best to stick with the basic software?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not sure about that in particular but i use one of their tuners and the sweetened bit works IMO...i would get it...probably because its money spent on guitar related gizmos, which i seem to be addicted too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    not sure about that in particular but i use one of their tuners and the sweetened bit works IMO...i would get it...probably because its money spent on guitar related gizmos, which i seem to be addicted too
    Does your tuner show what sweetened tuning is comprised of, what differences to standard tuning?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    There are sweetened tuning settings on my Peterson tuner. I use them all the time. Go for it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• I recently bought a Sonic Research strobe tuner.  It has programmable tunings so you can store your own.  I have been using James Taylor's tuning and think it does work.

https://www.jamestaylor.com/guitar/lesson-five-bonus-video/

I'm still getting to grips with it tbh. Some of the terms they use - eg Tempraments are a bit confusing. It's a good tuner though, very accurate. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9511
    edited August 2018
    I have a Peterson for sale in the forum, and they are incredible.

The sweetened tunings are presets, and are very accurate. 

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/137624/fs-peterson-stomp-classic-tuner-price-drop#latest

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9511
    edited August 2018
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited August 2018
    ...then a shit playing technique means you play everything flat!

In a interview on YTube, Ian Hunter discusses how Mick Ronson's Les Paul was so out of tune all the time he would be retunnig mid-song and that Mick Ralphs developed a technique to play everything flat to compensate for his playing style's effect on his guitars.

ref: 

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I bought the Strobe Plus and, I have to say, it's incredible.  So accurate and it does make a difference, especially with intonating.  Of course, you will never get the strobe to stop completely dead but you can get extremely close.  

Anyway, the offsets for the Sweetened Tunings are:

E1 = -2.3 cent
    B2 = 0
    G3 = 0
    D4 = -0.4 Cent
    A5 = -2.1 Cent
    E6 = -2.3 Cent

I bought the Strobe Plus and, I have to say, it's incredible.  So accurate and it does make a difference, especially with intonating.  Of course, you will never get the strobe to stop completely dead but you can get extremely close.  

Anyway, the offsets for the Sweetened Tunings are:

E1 = -2.3 cent
    B2 = 0
    G3 = 0
    D4 = -0.4 Cent
    A5 = -2.1 Cent
    E6 = -2.3 Cent

Thanks, that's really helpful. They're incredibly fine adjustments. Makes you realise when you compare a clip on, eg Snark, to a Peterson, that the chances are you're playing some recipe of sweetened tuning every time you tune up by default as the Snark lacks that clinical accuracy.

It's been really useful in getting the ES125, with its floating bridge, set up with accurate intonation. I'd returned the bridge to its original wooden one but the Peterson made me realise I was never going to get it accurately set up without returning it to the metal adjustable bridge unit it arrived with.

That said, even though the intonation may have been out with the wooden bridge saddles, the guitar always sounded sweet and in tune right up to the 12th fret even though it was some way out from correct intonation. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JT's tuning is (with adjustments in cent)

e  -3
    B  -6
    G  -4
    D  -8
    A  -10
    E  -12

At those very fine adjustments it does pay to try to damp all the other strings while tuning. Although he does not mention it, you can see James doing that later in the video.

Tuners were one of the most important developments for learning and playing. When I think back to the amount of time I'd waste trying to get in tune when I started, using an A440 tuning fork. It was a constant struggle as I lacked a good ear. Having a decent tuner improved my ear enormously as I began to absorb what an in tune guitar sounded like. Nowadays, even though my hearing is not as good as it was, I can get a ballpark tuning by ear, having been taught by the tuner what is right (and what my ear favours - that final tweak).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    As one who is near obsessed with tuning my instruments, this happened a few weeks ago at band practice:

I had been out of the room before we ran through one song.  I thought it went fairly well until the singer said he agreed that it worked better in B.  The lads had played the song in B.  Problem was that I played it in the usual key, B flat.  Amazingly nobody noticed or were aware that I had everything 'wrong'!

We had a good laugh about it and ran through the song again with all of us playing in the key of B.  Just shows what you can get away with in a band situation...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7747

The other thing you find out is just how easy it is to play sharp or flat depending on how hard you press or how you approach the string when you press down.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    Paul_C said:

The other thing you find out is just how easy it is to play sharp or flat depending on how hard you press or how you approach the string when you press down.
    Absolutely, and in fact probably most of us sweeten our tunings on the fly as we play, to create a more musical sound, which we may categorise as ‘tone’ or ‘feel’ - especially on minor to major 3rds, and major 7ths. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom