Learning Double Bass materials etc question

VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
I quite fancy having a go at double/upright bass and was wondering what sort of teaching materials are good. I kinda play fiddle, so the left hand doesn't hold any fear for me, I'm assuming it's similar to how you learn on violin, but don't really know anything about right hand technique, either arco or pizzicato, and don't really read bass clef, so wouldn't mind learning that from the ground up as well. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Do you want to learn 'jazz' upright or 'rockabilly' upright?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    hmmm, I associate rockabilly as that slapping thing they do, and not mad keen on that, so more along the lines of jazz. 

Can you play changes?
    octatonic said:
    Can you play changes?
    hmmm, not sure, I can harmonise along with chords by ear kinda OK on the fiddle, no idea if this is playing changes.

it's really basic techniques I'm after at this point, I play no bass at all so want to get a good fundamental technique down 1st before branching off into genres and so on. 

VimFuego said:
    octatonic said:
    Can you play changes?
    hmmm, not sure, I can harmonise along with chords by ear kinda OK on the fiddle, no idea if this is playing changes.
    OK, so you have a couple of tasks.
    First is to get the left hand technique (assuming you are right handed), which you will mostly have a version of from violin.
    Then you need to get the right hand technique- there are youtube videos you can check out although clearly tutor will be better.
    If you want to progress from playing standard rhythm section duties to being a soloist (which thew genre more or less demands) then you have a bigger task to start playing changes and soloing through them.

Start with walking bass lines and tackle a few jazz standards- All of Me, Autumn Leaves, Satin Doll etc.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    If you can read treble clef then adding bass in isn't too tricky, especially if it's onto a different instrument. I've done OK with tenor clef, but treble clef is difficult for cello because the notes are all far too far up the neck, unless it's live transposition which isn't too tricky.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    thx octa, the issue I have with youtube tutors is knowing the good ones from the crap, by and large with published work, you have a good chance of knowing that whoever made it isn't a complete Charlie. 

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited August 2018
    Where do you live? I could show you basics if you're near W London. I'd normally recommend DIY for most instruments but not D Bass. Go to one or two lessons as things like stance, posture and arm position will give you strain and pain later if you don't get them right. It's also useful to try playing without committing to a pricey instrument. 
    nice offer, thanks, sadly I am in NW devon, so it's a stretch. I know my fiddle teacher's partner plays DB, but I don't know if he owns one, will ask her/him when I see them next.