WiFi

What's Hot
Apparently WiFi is bundled in the rent of the room I'm taking next week, so I need a WiFi thing (do you call it a dongle?) that sits in a USB port. The computer is a 32 bit laptop running Ubuntu 16.04. There are simply LOADS of WiFi dongles on amazon and I don't have the time to trawl them all. So does anybody know of one that will work with my laptop?
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    How old is that laptop? It's been a long time since I have seen a laptop without WiFi. You may need to split the the 2 and 5Ghz channel on the router if laptop is very old (easy to do).

• I'm guessing 10 years. It has the same cpu as this desktop which is at least 10 years old. Funnily enough it runs like snot off a stick, whereas the desktop runs at the speed of death squared. Same Ubuntu brew as well ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Apparently WiFi is bundled in the rent of the room I'm taking next week, so I need a WiFi thing (do you call it a dongle?) that sits in a USB port. The computer is a 32 bit laptop running Ubuntu 16.04. There are simply LOADS of WiFi dongles on amazon and I don't have the time to trawl them all. So does anybody know of one that will work with my laptop?
    A quick google should reveal some properly supported ones.

Device support in linux isnt the crapshoot it used to be though.  I'd plug anything into Ubuntu and expect it to work these days.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    A quick google should reveal some properly supported ones.

Device support in linux isnt the crapshoot it used to be though.  I'd plug anything into Ubuntu and expect it to work these days.
    That's why I posted the one I did - tested it extensively in Debian and Ubuntu based distros. you don't need the extra antenna, but at uni I get signal from a building across the courtyard and a couple of access points somewhere off campus, which is fun

• @Myranda fanx their list does include "Linux" but they don't say which flavour. Can the driver be compiled for 32 bit architecture?