Do I need to move my desk further away from the walls if I treat the walls behind?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Freebird said:
    duotone said:
    I found this also useful, KEYBOARD SHORTCUT KEYS

http://user.cockos.com/~glazfolk/ReaperKeyboardShortcuts.pdf
    What's the shortcut to get rid of the boomy flubby notes?
    Sorry, wrong thread!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited September 2018
    Please bear in mind I am only just beginning to learn about all this...

If studio monitor speakers have an enclosed back, why does it matter if they're close to the wall behind them?
    If all the noise is coming out of the front and they're on iso pads, why does the air gap behind them matter?

Do some monitor speakers have rear ports?

Mine are Alesis Elevate 5 and the backs are totally enclosed. They're on Adam Hall Iso foam pads, on top of gorilla floor stands using carpet spikes, approx 6" from the corners of the walls.

The room is as yet totally untreated and I'm trying to comprehend what effect that's having and how to remedy that so the links posted above are helpful (Thanks for them) but I'm not really getting why a closed back speaker should or shouldn't be any specific distance from what's behind it or why being in a corner even matters?

I feel like I should reiterate that I have zero experience with this and I'm very new to anything other than playing live through loud amps. Please be gentle with me!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Alnico said:

Do some monitor speakers have rear ports?! 
    Yes, many of them do.
    duotone said:
    Alnico said:

Do some monitor speakers have rear ports?! 
    Yes, many of them do.
    Thanks for replying.

So I presume because mine haven't got rear ports then it's OK to have them close to the walls and in the corner?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited September 2018
    @Alnico bass is omnidirectional wheras treble is directional. Bass basically goes everywhere and travels(long wavelegth), which is why it creates standing waves and combines with bass radiated from behind the speaker (bounces back from a solid wall) even if it's not rear ported.
    @Alnico bass is omnidirectional wheras treble is directional. Bass basically goes everywhere and travels(long wavelegth), which is why it creates standing waves and combines with bass radiated from behind the speaker (bounces back from a solid wall) even if it's not rear ported.
    Thanks for the reply.

This seems like a huge subject and one I'm going to have to learn a lot about.
    I'm not actually recording at home yet, they're only used for playing back music right now. I was trying to set up a home recording "Set up" to learn with so it looks like my learning curve just got steeper.

I'll read what I can and try to implement what I can afford, thanks guys.
  • @Alnico I'm trying to get my head around it too, lots to learn, but you're not on your own!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    @Alnico I'm trying to get my head around it too, lots to learn, but you're not on your own!
    I'll keep that in mind and share whatever I manage to work out.
    I'm a caveman when it comes to tech, haven't got a clue what even the numbers mean on a graphic EQ (Hz?) and I only vaguely understand what I'm doing but I'm not prepared to keep myself in the dark if I stand a chance of learning.

I could just stick to playing live and leave all this to a proper studio and engineer but I'd really like to try to build an online portfolio of my own work so I kind of have to learn how to do this.

My kit isn't expensive but I'm constantly told it doesn't have to be so I'm doing my best.
    Thanks for the replies so far.
    Apologies for hijacking this thread, which I seem to have done.
    I'll keep this on topic now and any other questions I'll start my own thread about.

Thanks guys.
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Check out arqen.com Very good acoustics 101!
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    hit the corners with traps