Solutions to help a quiet singer?

gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
The singer in our band has had to have some throat surgery recently and as a result can't belt out the tunes the way he used to. He's thinking it is not really going to be possible for him to get back to gigging but I was hoping there might be some solution...in the past we have been very low tech...no in-ear monitoring, only vocals through the PA, so it is very loud on stage. We were thinking about trying to go with in-ear monitoring, using guitar / bass modelling and electronic drums so that he doesn't feel like he has to get over the whole band.

Is there some way we can test out this setup without spending a fortune to see if it's a possibility? Something like the old Jam Hub would be ideal but they are still quite expensive, even on ebay. We have electronic drums, and modelling tech for the guitars.

Any thoughts on this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
     Something like the old Jam Hub would be ideal but they are still quite expensive, even on ebay. We have electronic drums, and modelling tech for the guitars.

If you want a JamHub, drop me a PM because I've got one somewhere that I'd be happy to let go.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    When was the surgery?  Singing, quietly or not, too soon could do more harm.  Our singer tore something in his throat coughing, and needed 6 months to recover 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

It's really worth investigating singing lessons.

There is now tons of information about recovery programs for vocals.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    Gulliver said:
     Something like the old Jam Hub would be ideal but they are still quite expensive, even on ebay. We have electronic drums, and modelling tech for the guitars.

If you want a JamHub, drop me a PM because I've got one somewhere that I'd be happy to let go.
    PM'd :)
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Also look at options for mic.  I find our Samson co05 stage condensor reject backline noise better than sm57/58 as i can get push them higher gain on desk without feedback/too much external noise coming through.  as an example have schennheiser 818 that is worse again than sm57/8 so much so I could only use in centre as far away from pa speakers as poss and even then when pushing volume used to get strange eq peaks and odd sounds.

So going for a mic with excellent rejection pattern and very high rejection dB (as in a higher rejection dB than what he is using currently) may get you a lot closer.  Add that to some placement tweaks keeping bass amp further away and angle guitar cabs so less likely to be picked up and I'll bet you can make it work no problems at all ;)