Buzzing problem - JangleBox pedal

nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 308

I have a JangleBox compressor pedal that has metal knobs for gain and attack. When I touch the gain knob I get buzzing through the amp (like touching the tip of a jack plug, and this stops when I touch the guitar strings).

The gain knob seemed a bit crackly as well so I’ve cleaned the pots, but this has made no difference. However I did notice when I took it apart was that some areas of solder around the gain potentiometer look like they have been redone at some point.

The pedal seems to work alright apart from this issue. I haven’t got any other pedal with metal knobs, so I’m not sure if this is right or not. I don’t think it is to be honest.

Does anyone know if there is anything obvious I should check?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 308
    Just to add to this - if I push down on the gain knob, the buzzing seems to temporarily stop. 
    I ended up taking it to a local computer/electronics repair place near me, the guy said he thought it was an issue with the pot, but he couldn't do anything about it because of the type of potentiometer and how it is mounted to the board.

Any ideas? It still seems to work alright apart from when you adjust the levels.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658

I recommend this guy

http://www.owenelectronics.co.uk/

JD50 said:
    Out of interest, had it been repaired when I bought it off you?
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    edited November 2018
    Not to my.knowledge.... I bought it on here. 
    You.must have had it a couple.years now?
    Do you use it as a comp or more as an effect/tone shift?