Learning the fretboard - an alternative tip

My fretboard knowledge is pretty poor - knowing what note is where often requires me to check a chart to know if I'm right or not but the other day, I accidentally "discovered" that if I left my chromatic tuner pedal on, it instantly showed me the name of the note. Made it much easier and quicker to know what the note was and to find the same note on other strings.
It was also really helpful to find the note names in specific chords by picking them individually.
Seems obvious really but it felt like a useful discovery for me!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited September 2018
    I once did a course and there was a woman on it who overthunk things. She had written a chart with mnemonics for notes at every fret. Stuff like.... open string, Edward Always Drives Golf Balls East. It was a bit much IMHO.

I remember Before Christ, Elmer Fudd! That is, B - C and E - F are one fret apart - all the others two frets apart. For working out where I am, I have three reference points

First is the 5th fret - same note as thinner string above (4th on the G string).

Second is 7th fret - same note as the thicker string below it (6th on the G string).

Third is the 12th fret note - same as the open string.

The first reference point repeats at the 17th fret (16th on the G string) and the second at the 19th frets (18th on the G string).

I find that if I don't know what a note is, then going up or down a few frets to the nearest reference point helps me work it ou quickly, which is helpful when jamming a song you've never played before. FWIW my theory and scale knowledge is rubbish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom