Acoustic Preamps with built in FX

What's Hot
Anyone got any experience of Preamps with built in FX, such as the Fishman ToneDEQ.
https://www.fishman.com/products/series/fx/tonedeq-preamp-eq/
If so your thoughts would be much appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    edited September 2018

I looked at that one, my biggest reservation was that it placed the delay and reverb together which meant you could use one or the other, but not both at the same time.

I had the fishman Aura spectrum which was great if you have a piezo pickup, the compression was pretty good on it.

Personally I'd get a pre amp that works for you and then add the effects on individually. I run an LR Baggs Venue DI straight to the desk via the XLR out and then send the guitar signal through the pedal output in to my pedals. That chain then goes in to its own channel on the desk. Best of both worlds then, pure acoustic sound and then one with the effects mixed in, sounds huge!

• @preston61 Interesting! Do you use a DI at the end of the pedal chain too?

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    edited September 2018
    @preston61 Interesting! Do you use a DI at the end of the pedal chain too?

The guitar and effects output does hit a radial DI box before going in to multichord. It also allows the sound guy to be able to tame the effects should they get a little out of control and mix them so they sound better out front.

What I love about it most is that I can set the effects slightly wetter and not worry to much that the guitars original sound will get lost because it's got its own channel. As it's just me playing I can get away with a lot more than if it was a full band

• I'll have to try that sometime! :)

• preston61 said:

I looked at that one, my biggest reservation was that it placed the delay and reverb together which meant you could use one or the other, but not both at the same time.

I had the fishman Aura spectrum which was great if you have a piezo pickup, the compression was pretty good on it.

Personally I'd get a pre amp that works for you and then add the effects on individually. I run an LR Baggs Venue DI straight to the desk via the XLR out and then send the guitar signal through the pedal output in to my pedals. That chain then goes in to its own channel on the desk. Best of both worlds then, pure acoustic sound and then one with the effects mixed in, sounds huge!

I have a K&K pure mini in one and a piezo in another so I'd probably avoid the Aura. I think you are right though I'd be better off with a separate preamp and maybe a small rack reverb such as the Nanoverb.
  • I am about to gig with my new Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp on Saturday. I have tried it in practice and it sound very nice, I'll let you know how I get on!
  • preston61 said:

I have a K&K pure mini in one and a piezo in another so I'd probably avoid the Aura. I think you are right though I'd be better off with a separate preamp and maybe a small rack reverb such as the Nanoverb.
    I have the pure mini as well and the Aura didn't really work for it. The venue DI is excellent as it allows you to take out some of those low frequencies which come through quite hot in the pick up. It also provides the output that the pure mini lacks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom