Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2350

This has just been on Planet Rock, what an exquisite piece of guitar music it is.

That's all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5459
    Always has been. It's one of those tracks that gets me every time I hear it, it's just incredible. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    Aside from the guitar content which is fantastic (surpassed only by tunnel of love for me) always makes me think of WW2 and wars in general.  Powerful stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    he's a true hero of mine, Knopfler.. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Absolutely gorgeous song, I love how the guitar is subtle and gentle but you can feel that's is a loud guitar played softly, fantastic playing.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Fantastic song and playing. For me the rest of the album hasn't quite aged as well - it has a very era-specific feel to it, although it's by no means bad - but the song itself remains one of Knopfler's greatest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    it's amazing, and always be.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Yes, this has been getting a lot of air time with me recently, guitar playing is out of this world.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    ICBM said:
    Fantastic song and playing. For me the rest of the album hasn't quite aged as well - it has a very era-specific feel to it, although it's by no means bad - but the song itself remains one of Knopfler's greatest.
    Wis'd. My interest waned after they added keys. This track is the best after the first 2 awesome twang-fests.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Does anyone know if he’s using a volume pedal on it? I don’t see how he’s getting those swells any other way. Enlighten me, people! 
  • AlexC said:
    Does anyone know if he’s using a volume pedal on it? I don’t see how he’s getting those swells any other way. Enlighten me, people! 
    Yes, MK makes heavy use of a volume pedal.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Jalapeno said:
    My interest waned after they added keys.
    Compared to "Professor" Roy Bittan's contributions to the Making Movies album, most of the DS keyboard content has been pretty pedestrian. Then, again, piano and organ don't date.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Funkfingers said:

Compared to "Professor" Roy Bittan's contributions to the Making Movies album, most of the DS keyboard content has been pretty pedestrian. Then, again, piano and organ don't date.
    There's a danger of heresy on a guitar forum I know, but the keyboards on Making Movies are some of my favourite parts of all Dire Straits albums - the intro to Tunnel Of Love is simply one of the best ever played on any song, it perfectly evokes the atmosphere the song is about to create.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266

It sure is a great song.

Always reminds me of my late Stepdad who did me cassette copies of all his Dire Straits albums in the mid eighties.

Good times.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Gorgeous piece of music, it's the reason I bought an LP just so I could have a go at it. The phrasing is stunning, such a clever, inventive player. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    I never tire of hearing it and always turn it up when it comes on in the shop. Although Knopfler isn't my favourite guitarist, he's probably the one I'd like to be able to play like the most. Every note he plays is absolutely golden. BIA proves that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • First time I heard this it was playing over footage of the late Joey Dunlop at the Isle of Mann TT. To me it was perfect for the tribute.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    edited September 2018
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mqp1r

You are welcome.

Edit: you need to sign in on that link. A search on iplayer radio may work better.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    @Jonathangus Thanks! 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Veganic said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mqp1r

You are welcome.

Edit: you need to sign in on that link. A search on iplayer radio may work better.
    Ta muchly ! Wis'd
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Postcards from Paraguay does it for me more than Brothers.