Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    A lot of Dire Straits music really bored me, but there are real gems in there as well, and Brothers in arms is a masterpiece. A truly beautiful, moving song with a great emotional heartfelt solo. I so wanted his solo career to have stuff like this. It doesn't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited September 2018
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Interesting chart!

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I prefer the original (I don't really)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    well spotted
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited September 2018
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Crumbs ! Never noticed that before. VERY similar, even some of the licks are identical
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    The question is, was it borrowed or influenced by it, or a coincidence? It does sound very close, but Brothers In Arms was apparently written in 1982 - it's a reference to the Falklands war, among other conflicts - which is before Bird Of Paradise was recorded or released. But whether that writing includes the guitar parts, I have no idea - the album wasn't recorded until 1984, which is after when Bird Of Paradise was getting a lot of airplay... so I don't think it's impossible Knopfler was influenced by it even if it wasn't deliberate.

George Harrison lost a famous court case over that question!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Veganic said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mqp1r

You are welcome.

Edit: you need to sign in on that link. A search on iplayer radio may work better.
    What a brilliant programme. I was in tears listening to the part about that guy in Afghanistan. 

Thanks for posting the link. 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Jalapeno said:
    Crumbs ! Never noticed that before. VERY similar, even some of the licks are identical
     Yeah, I was amazed when I first heard it mentioned and looked it up. The verse keyboard part is near identical
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    One of my favourite's... And if ya go look up the live in London performance its recorded on his silly expensive LP through a Crate Vintage Club 2x12 (crazy serious tone machine for not a lot of dosh)
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    In fact here it is

• KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    Stunning song. Prefer the live version from the On The Night concert.
  • It is definitely in my all time top 10 for many reasons....
    Dire Straits were my first proper gig, Live in 85 Tour, Wembley Arena with a mate that first introduced me to their music
    They were my inspiration to want to learn to play
    MK was my first guitar hero
    The song is just so evocative, so full of meaning.  Never fails to move me. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    Love the song, the album sounds very dated though, although side two has aged better than side one.  All the songs are good but the production has a certain era about it.  I think if it was recorded now it would sound very different.

I remember reading an interview with MK in which he states that he can play BIA on any occasion better than he played it on the album.  In all the live recordings I've ever heard of the song being played I can honestly say I don't think he's ever come close to playing it anywhere near as good as on the album.  It's a masterful piece of playing.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    The only resemblance Brothers in Arms has to Birds in Paradise is the mood it is written in and a similar chord progression. Otherwise they’re both completely different pieces of music and BIA pisses all over the Snowy White offering. At least to me anyway.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Ahhhh this thread

Honestly, my old guitar teacher died a few months back , and I haven't been able to listen to it really since then.  He introduced me to them, and looked kinda like MK.

However, I listened to birds... a few times as replacement.

I just turned on the one night in London version, had to turn it off again damnit.  I really miss the song, but too busy to mope 
  • I’m a massive fan of MK - but I agree that the BIA album hasn’t aged well - in fact it’s probably my least favourite Dire Straits album. The title song is definitely the highlight but some of the songs - notably Walk of Life - are dreadful.
  • horse said:
    I prefer the original (I don't really)

Shocking and indefensible...

Black pickup surrounds on a gold top.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Funkfingers said:

Compared to "Professor" Roy Bittan's contributions to the Making Movies album, most of the DS keyboard content has been pretty pedestrian. Then, again, piano and organ don't date.
    There's a danger of heresy on a guitar forum I know, but the keyboards on Making Movies are some of my favourite parts of all Dire Straits albums - the intro to Tunnel Of Love is simply one of the best ever played on any song, it perfectly evokes the atmosphere the song is about to create.

I'm with you on this and the keyboard arpeggios too. In fact, Dire Straits are one of only a few bands where I consciously listen to the other instrument parts. The drums and keyboards/piano on Telegraph Road are integral to its feel and atmosphere and irrespective of MK's genious, those songs wouldn't be anywhere near as good without them.