Q418C roundthebend Eddie Vedder Black P90 Tele replica

What's Hot
I've never built a guitar or anything like it before. I don't even play much these days, but fancy having one of these guitars and learning a little as I go.

This is what I'm aiming for.

I'll start with this Harley Benton T-Style kit from Thomann:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_eguitar_kit_tstyle.htm

And will replace the neck pickup with a P90, possibly from Irongear, and possibly replace the bridge pickup to match it.
I will decide whether to do an accurate copy of the finish shown in the photo (solid black body, black stained forearm, glitter upper), or whether to just go with one finish type. I definitely want to do the target and arrow decals.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    i think its a dark sparkle finish, carved through and stained on the contour, then black tape on the front

@Poopot might have a suggestion on how you can get the sparkle on a budget 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    i think its a dark sparkle finish, carved through and stained on the contour, then black tape on the front
    I think you're right. I don't think I'd want a taped finish long-term so I might just do that solid black. I'm quite excited by the carve and two different finishes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    I think you're right. I don't think I'd want a taped finish long-term so I might just do that solid black. I'm quite excited by the carve and two different finishes.
    The tape is a good option if you balls something up ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    WezV said:

@Poopot might have a suggestion on how you can get the sparkle on a budget 

Sparkles on a budget?...

ahem... b&q silver glitter clear coat....

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @poopot ;
    Awesome. Do you have a link to some instructions, or is it as easy as spraying on your main colour until it's covered enough, then the sparkles, then the clear coat?
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited September 2018
    Prime it, spray the base, spray the sparkly clear coat...

the sparkly clear is a clear acrylic with glitter glitter in it... the only thing I will say is it takes a while to harden... spray the sparkles in thin coats...

You can add clear over over the top afterwards if you like...
  • Couple of things I've learned about the Thomann kit:

1. The body is light but the neck heavy making it a bit imbalanced. What can I do to address that? Especially since I was planning to contour the forearm bit.

2. The wood grain isn't going to be very prominent, so the stained area isn't likely to take a strain so well. I guess I just give it a go.
    1). Don’t worry about it till you have the kit.  The weights will vary.  It’s a tele so even neck heavy it won’t be terrible on a strap

2). It certainly won’t have strong grain like Eddie’s.  It might even have a join in that area.  It will still take a black stain well.  I think you can get close as long as exact replica is not your aim.
  • Cheers @WezV your optimism is encouraging.
    One thing you may want to consider earlier in the build is the bridge.  

The ones on the kits can be a bit nasty and it’s more work to change later than Pickups or tuners.  Wait till it arrives though.  
  • WezV said:

The ones on the kits can be a bit nasty and it’s more work to change later than Pickups or tuners.  Wait till it arrives though.  
    Feel free to suggest where to get aa reasonabl quality, low price bridge from. I'd like this guitar to become a keeper. I've got this urge to do solo gigs with electric guitar, and a simple valve amp, so it's be cool if the while rig was self-built.
  • I'm gonna order the guitar kit from Thomann. Wondered if I should grab anything else while I'm paying out the £10 for postage?

Strap locks is one thought. Better strings. Tools?
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    WezV said:

Feel free to suggest where to get aa reasonabl quality, low price bridge from. I'd like this guitar to become a keeper. I've got this urge to do solo gigs with electric guitar, and a simple valve amp, so it's be cool if the while rig was self-built.
    Wilkinson do good quality Tele bridges, you may have to redrill mounting holes though
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• So, in researching Eddie's guitar so I can try and make a good attempt at copying it, I've learned a few things. Apparently it's a 1963 Black-Sparkle tele, which has obviously been modified.

Just behind the bridge there is a Johnny Ramone photo, seems to be taped to the body. The target is apparently a nod to The Who, and the arrow might be a clue for where to use his eBow on the intro of a particular song - Worldwide Suicide. I'm not a big fan of either The Who or The Ramones, so I have a decision - do I make an accurate replica or do I mimic it but put my own tribute on there - probably an Eddie Vedder photo and a Pearl Jam logo of some sort.

Also, I'm told that he has modified the wiring to a 4-way switch so that the two pickups can be switched in series as a Humbucker. Is that right? I would have thought the wiring would be parallel to make a Humbucker. I'd definitely like to explore that option.

Normal tele wiring is parallel.   Normal humbucker wiring is series.   the 4-wayswitch give you both options

I would also recommend the Wilkinson tele bridges as a decent upgrade on most kits

• WezV said:

Normal tele wiring is parallel.   Normal humbucker wiring is series.   the 4-wayswitch give you both options

I would also recommend the Wilkinson tele bridges as a decent upgrade on most kits

Eddie's guitar has a 6 saddle bridge. I've read that it's a nightmare to set those up. What significant difference will I get from the Wilkinson bridge over the one supplied in the kit? It looks like I'll just get to learn how to fill some holes and drill new ones!

If I'm replacing the bridge, maybe I should go fully authentic with a 6 saddle type.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    I find a modern 6 saddle bridge a lot easier to set up than a 3 saddle where you have to make compromises.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • @Roland then I will search for a decent quality, not too expensive 6 saddle bridge.
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    @Roland then I will search for a decent quality, not too expensive 6 saddle bridge.
    Not massively cheap or individual saddles but I've been impressed with my gotoh bridge - the saddles are compensated and it intonates perfectly on my guitar but I agree that 6 would be easier than 3.

I loved building my tele, take your time and double check anything you're unsure of! There are a lot more knowledgeable members than me on the forum but in happy to try and answer any questions you may have. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Kit ordered, along with a set of gauge 10 strings and a Planet Waves winder/cutter/puller tool since my old wire cutters got used for something a bit chunky and blunted them.