SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: 1974 Yamaha FG180

What's Hot
Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 320
edited October 2018 in Acoustics £
Beautiful guitar, I'm only the 2nd owner but I've don't play acoustics much anymore, and am not as much into Elliott Smith as I used to be, but when I heard this awesome acoustic tones I could hardly believe they were done on a cheap old Yamaha. THis is a 1974 made in Taiwan Yamaha FG-180.

This guitar is the same make and model, and i think it's even the same year as Elliott's. Comes with original Yamaha acoustic hardcase. It's all stock except for the bridge saddles which were upgraded to ebony on the bass stings and buffalo horn on the treble strings ala Neil Young. The guitar sounds like a tank! It's really loud with beautiful growly deep bass and smooth trebles. It's has a real attack to it's sound and I'd keep it if I strummed it more than couple of times per year. No real scratch marks to report, it's in mint condition. Action is good at 2mm and there's more room on the truss rod to adjust further if needed. Looking for £400 but am open to offers

Pictures to follow soon.
4reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• These are  incredible guitars and 500 quid is more than reasonable for one in vgc. I've had several over the years and regretted selling them because nothing sounds quite like them. I sold my MIJ red label about a year ago to Boo Hewardine (Eddie Reader's guitarist) and he was singing its praises. He said he had a mate who owned about 5 and still wanted more!!! I would take it off you, but I'm also in the position of reducing my collection at the moment.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Steve-O said:
    These are  incredible guitars and 500 quid is more than reasonable for one in vgc. I've had several over the years and regretted selling them because nothing sounds quite like them. I sold my MIJ red label about a year ago to Boo Hewardine (Eddie Reader's guitarist) and he was singing its praises. He said he had a mate who owned about 5 and still wanted more!!! I would take it off you, but I'm also in the position of reducing my collection at the moment.
    .... and incredible songwriter, guitarist and singer in his own right! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 320
    Totally agreed, at one point i had 5 myself. Now I have this FG180 in vgc and a FG335 in used condition so I'd keep the FG335 because it's worth less but sounds great too! I have played so many of these FG's and they all had some mojo
  • FatboylimFatboylim Frets: 14
    edited September 2018
    I just picked up an FG-331 in a charity shop. Holy heck it is good. The 000 size makes me play it more than my dreadnaught ....

Good luck with sale, those FG's are great.. 

Pics added, I got more if anyone's interested

Bump & open to offers
    Bump for price drop 
    Bump, still available
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    I have an old FG335, built like a tank and used in a Nashville tuning these days, they really are good workmanlike old boxes 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896

I hadn't seen this ad before, but curiously I was chatting with someone about these last week, whilst waiting for a train. I sold an FG180 a couple of years ago, which was in a bit worse condition and didn't make so much.

As I understand it, the red-label Taiwan models were the first ones and made under supervision by the folks from Japan; they subsequently switched to a white label.

Bump for a great guitar
    There's another one on sale here, £575 plus shipping, 
    Bump, open to offers, sitting here unplayed
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I have an interest. I’ve messaged you