I saw CAMEL last night...

What's Hot
blobbblobb Frets: 2951
Wow. Andy Lat is just amazing. The rest of the band were amazing. Any fans here? - share your favourite CAMEL moments.

If you get the chance to go see them on this tour DOO...ITT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awzJYRrAtJQ

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Stationary Traveller.

Having been a teenager in the early 1980s, that album perfectly captures the atmosphere of the late Cold War era like nothing else - just like the cover, a picture of a moment frozen in time. For those of us who grew up with it, it's odd to think that now, the Berlin Wall has been down for longer than it was up... it seemed so permanent.

Full concert from the same year, which I just found -

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    "Rain Dances" is one of Our Maud's favourite albums ever.

Calling @Phil_aka_Pip !

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    My mate Dave Stewart played drums on tour with Camel - Andy is a lovely player - just simple and sublime most of the time.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I saw them on the first Moonmadness tour back in 1976. Mel Collins played sax and flutes. Great band ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2951
    @ICBM ; they played Long Goodbyes as the set closer, before the inevitable Lady Fantasy encore.

Rain Dances era for me too, but then I'm a big Rich Sinclair fanboy. Slightly weird gig as they played as their own support band - Set 1 was the entirety of Moonmadness. Beat that, main act!

Main set was a mix of ICSYHFH / Rajaz / Dust and dreams / Stationary which is not so familiar to me. I lose it after Nude so it was great to hear new (to me) material played in all it's glory.

The real star turn was Pete Jones (keys/sax). Pete is blind and makes an interesting sight as Colin leads him on stage but when he takes his place nothing but magic flows from his corner. Astounding player, his sax playing was right up there with Mel Collins.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Great band. A nod and a wink isn't generally considered a 'classic' Camel album, but it is one of my very favourite records ever. 

I really fancied going to see them this time, but the tickets were too much money for me - well, more than I would pay for a gig.
  • Oh man, I've been digging Camel since spring 1975. I've losy count of how many of their gigs I've been to and the Camel dept in each of  my LP, CD, and DVD collections is one of the biggest.

Mr Latimer is a most beautiful musician.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    edited September 2018
    Great band. Saw them on OGWT in 1973(?) and bought their first album. Saw them live loads of times in the 70's and 80's. Andy Latimer has incredible touch and tone.
  • axisus said:
    Great band. A nod and a wink isn't generally considered a 'classic' Camel album, but it is one of my very favourite records ever. 

I really fancied going to see them this time, but the tickets were too much money for me - well, more than I would pay for a gig.
    ain't just "a gig". Its a lesson in musicianship. Worth every penny. Always.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2951
    ... t'was both of those. I went to Leamington Assembly, they can pack in 1,000 standing and I reckon it was pretty much sold out. Almost a full on mosh pit at the front, or at least the ageing prog fan equivalent.
  • I saw Camel a couple of time right back at the beginning of the 80s. They may have been the first band I saw live (or was that the Buggles incarnation of Yes?), and they always killed it. I would have seen them earlier this year at their residency in Tokyo, but it would have cost a fortune to get there and stay the night, never mind the work I would have missed and had to catch up on.
  • I preferred pre-watershed era.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ