Nylon strung acoustic for small human being with little hands - recommendations please?

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5596
My lad is 12 almost but isn't exactly the biggest lad in school, if you know what I mean.  He's been having guitar lessons for a while and is progressing nicely towards his first grade exam.

He's been using a PRS SE Standard electric up to now and seems to get on ok with it despite it being a bit fat in the neck.  At his last lesson his teacher stated that he should be ready for taking his exam at the end of this term but that ideally he'll need a nylon strung acoustic guitar.

It's been a long time since I picked up a nylon strung guitar but every one I've touched seems to have very wide and chunky necks.  With the lad only having small hands I'm worried this might be a hurdle to him so I'm asking for recommendations for a suitable instrument please that won't break the bank.

I don't think he'll need a 3/4 size guitar but if there's one with a slightly shorter scale then it might be to his advantage.

Thanks in advance.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have an Ibanez AEG10NT - its neck/fretboard is justy like a normal acoustic rather than a classic 'aircraft carrier.  Body is shallow too - very comfortable.  They're also modestly priced.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5596
    Thanks, Doc, I’ll keep that in mind. It’s not expensive either. 

Google also led me to the Fender CN-140SCE which looks interesting, anyone played one?

• carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    I have a normal bodied classical with a Gibson-scale neck. Makes it more comfortable for me. Look for the number 63 (as in 63cm scale, i.e. 24.75") in guitar numbering. Going 3/4 body size might be too much, but there are also 7/8 guitars, too.
  • And if you were to go for a 3/4, first check with the teacher whether a 3/4 scale instrument would be allowed for exams
  • you can buy alto guitars, too
  • Note that all classicals, even those with shorter necks tend to have 52mm nut width

I have noticed that neck depth does vary a lot - so try them out first, or ask for a measurement
  • I tried out a new lower end Fender classical last week that had an amazingly slim neck, it was in a store that was a Fender dealer  so if there is a Fender dealership near you it might be worth checking out.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• HaychHaych Frets: 5596
    Thanks all, keep 'em coming though.

I'm quite taken with the Fender I mentioned above - it's a bit more pricey but has a 25.3" scale and a 43mm nut width.  If I can find one to try I'd be able to make a more informed decision but it's on the shortlist for now.

• Bear in mind that nylon strings are thicker, and are under less tension, so they vibrate more from side to side.
    This, combined with the fingering on many classical pieces, are the reason that people buy 52mm nut classicals

I recently bought a fusion nylon guitar, with a normal acoustic width neck, and found it hard to play without accidentally muting the wrong strings, a lot harder than I find playing classical style on normal-neck-width steel-strung acoustics 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I'd check charity shops. I got one for £5 and it plays very nicely! I sometimes see one for £5-£30 locally. Some are rubbish, others OK.
  • I picked up a 3/4 Yamaha after my wee one's Stagg bridge snapped off. The Yamaha is lovely - massive difference in playability to me at least. I doubt the wee one will get off her ipad to play it though...