Bridge spacing fact and fiction...

What's Hot
Wondering how people feel about this topic round these parts. Some on other forums have strong views.

With fingerstyle in mind, is there really any significant difference between bridge spacings that come within a mm or so of each other?

Martins current standard spacing is 2 5/32. The 000-18 vintage inspired is marginally wider (by just under 1mm) at 2 3/16. Gibson don’t seem to publish official figures but my hummingbird measures 2 5/32, give or take a gnats pube. Maton guitars (favoured by Tommy Emmanuel) sit in between 2 5/32 and 2 3/16 at 55.35mm.

At 2 1/4 (over 57mm) and higher, yes I can feel a difference. “Better” is subjective. Larger than 2 1/4 and I’ve found plectrum picking a bit clumsy.

The traditional gold standard for fingerstyle has been at least 2 1/4 but with T.E. cgp using a relatively narrow spacing is that outdated (Martin seem to think so)?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• really depends on u'r playing style TM  and u'r ability, I can manage with a 'tighter' s/s both ends - some people have nightmares about 1/32" - If I want to let rip - I need bit more space - .
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited September 2018
    TINMAN82 said:

Larger than 2 1/4 and I’ve found plectrum picking a bit clumsy.

I agree with that from my experience. 

2 3/16 or 2 5/32 seems to be a decent inbetween spacing for both fingerpickers and plectrum users but IMO it all goes down to your own hands and what one can get used to.  

For fingerpicking, I myself think that a 1 3/4" nut with a 2 5/16" spacing at the saddle is the most comfortable for my needs. 
  • Maybe its just all down to adapting and getting used to what guitar you have, but for fingerpicking, 2 3/8" is ideal for me. I struggle with anything less than 2 1/4"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    My Gibson Dove, with 2-5/32" at the bridge and 1-15/32" at the nut (1-11/16" nut width), is perfect for me. Anything more at either end is too big.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom