The Aristocrats

What's Hot
I saw them last night in Zürich. 1st time I've seen Guthrie play live since the mid 90s. He is just a spectacular player, it just looks effortless. He uses a few fx, but one part was jaw dropping, hr uses his phone to play a sort of pad - drone into the pickups. When he launched into his solo it was all right hand legato  whilst his left hand switched the sample off, locked the phone and put back on the floor.

What really struck me though was just how good Marco Minneman is.  Extremely technical but the way he plays is so relaxed.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, much to my surprise.. musically not my thing but an engrossing tour de force on what you can do on an instrument. And a couple of tracks were very listenable too :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They are amazing live. I saw them a few years ago and was right at Guthrie’s feet for the show. Jaw dropping to see close up, and full of humour. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    Amazing musicians, but I couldn't listen to an album of that stuff for too long. I love the live humour though! There's an amazing video where they all start faffing around with mobile phones and plastic squeaking chickens if I remember correctly. I prefer Guthrie's other outlets to be honest - his solo album and playing with Steven Wilson etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Saw then years back - felt like I needed a breather halfway through! :lol:
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    edited September 2018
    Did they do the duck and phone song?

I was hooked the whole way through the last Aristocrats gig. 'Proper' mucisians and great entertainers too.. showed Mrs .L a few clips after I went and she decided she wants In next time they are about..
  • LuttiS said:
    Did they do the duck and phone song?

I was hooked the whole way through the last Aristocrats gig. 'Proper' mucisians and great entertainers too.. showed Mrs .L a few clips after I went and she decided she wants In next time they are about..
    No idea, I don't know the records at all - but they did do a song which broke down to playing the beat on two squishy pigs and a rubber chicken.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Two squishy pigs and a rubber chicken.
    That's the one :)

They used rubber chickens and dialing a phone when I saw them.
  • Sounds like a good show, I'll have to keep an eye out on Youtube for videos - none yet sadly :(
  • I saw them last night in Zürich. 1st time I've seen Guthrie play live since the mid 90s. He is just a spectacular player, it just looks effortless. He uses a few fx, but one part was jaw dropping, hr uses his phone to play a sort of pad - drone into the pickups. When he launched into his solo it was all right hand legato  whilst his left hand switched the sample off, locked the phone and put back on the floor.

What really struck me though was just how good Marco Minneman is.  Extremely technical but the way he plays is so relaxed.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, much to my surprise.. musically not my thing but an engrossing tour de force on what you can do on an instrument. And a couple of tracks were very listenable too :)
    Right hand legato!!! Anyone else and you’d think that was a typo ! That man is incredible. Would have loved to see him with the Hans Zimmer orchestra.
  • I saw them last night in Zürich. 1st time I've seen Guthrie play live since the mid 90s. He is just a spectacular player, it just looks effortless. He uses a few fx, but one part was jaw dropping, hr uses his phone to play a sort of pad - drone into the pickups. When he launched into his solo it was all right hand legato  whilst his left hand switched the sample off, locked the phone and put back on the floor.

Right hand legato!!! Anyone else and you’d think that was a typo ! That man is incredible. Would have loved to see him with the Hans Zimmer orchestra.
    Ah. Oops.  It is indeed a typo.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom