Another 'which Marshall?' thread... (Also, which cab?)

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited September 2018
    Yeah that's how I see it - a single channel amp with 3 different voicings/levels of gain. Mine always stayed on the lead channel though. @SteveF the best thing would be to take your guitar and pedalboard to a shop that sells both and play them through the same cab. The Origin with a TS9/SD1 can do the 80s metal no problem - you need to get the master above halfway though. If they only have a combo try to play it through a cab, I'm not a fan of the 10" v type.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    SteveF said:
    I'm still swithering over the Origin too.  I have, or can build, pretty much any type of OD/dist pedal to go with it, so I'm feeling like a the single channel one might be the way to go.  Gah, the indecision! :confounded: 
    I’d treat the jubilee as a single channel amp too.
    It’s not too far off a single channel with multiple volume controls really.
    If you use it as a crunch and lead it works perfectly for 2 channels, if you want a clean and lead then I agree the channels don’t balance.

I do wish more companies would do amps that have a 2 volumes and 2 gains, with a similar gain structure and voice!
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    edited September 2018
    The issue I have with 2 channel amps (Edit: with a single tone stack) for clean/dirt as opposed to crunch/lead is that I tend to use pretty different EQ settings for clean and dirty.  I tend to have quite high bass, low treble for clean and relatively low bass, more treble for dirty sounds. 

It's a bit of a trek for me to get to any decent shops.  I like the distance selling regs too, so if I don't like it it's easier to return with no issues.  I'll give it some thought, check out some more reviews online and take a punt on one or t'other. 
  • I'll throw the same thing into the mix as I did in the other thread - the Sheriff 22 which Thorpy has in the Classifieds.  I know there's only so much you can tell from YouTube demos, but I don't think I've heard a bad one yet.  Two channels (although not a traditional clean/drive layout).  22W with a separate 0.3W output for bedroom playing.

If I didn't think it would be wasted on me, he'd probably have sold it already.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

That's a decent shout but again, slightly more than I was looking to spend.  
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    ICBM said:

I would never trust the standard speaker in any modern Marshall amp to bring out the best in it - every single one I've ever heard is poor compared to any of the standard classic Celestion models or the best new ones.

I disagree.  The Mini Jubilee head with the correct matching 2x12 and Marshall-spec V30s sounds glorious. I believe it's the speaker the amp was designed around back in the eighties.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well it’s a moot point now, I just bought Thorpy’s Sheriff 22 and a 1x12 with a greenback in.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Now don’t tell the wife!  :#
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Twinfan said:
    ICBM said:

I would never trust the standard speaker in any modern Marshall amp to bring out the best in it - every single one I've ever heard is poor compared to any of the standard classic Celestion models or the best new ones.
    I disagree.  The Mini Jubilee head with the correct matching 2x12 and Marshall-spec V30s sounds glorious. I believe it's the speaker the amp was designed around back in the eighties.
    OK, well... that's not quite what I meant ;).

First, the Jubilee is now considered a classic Marshall, not a modern one. Second, the V30 is a standard classic Celestion.

:)

What I meant is the variety of crap non-standard Celestions which they've stuck in almost all their modern (JCM2000 era and onwards) combos. G12E-50, Gold Back, that 'Wolverine' thing, Seventy/80... I'm not even that keen on the V-Type from what I've heard. Stick a Greenback, G12H-30, V30, Classic Lead 80, Creamback, or even a good old G12T-75 (never thought I would say that!) in any of them and instantly improve it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    You should say what you mean then  ;)

And the Mini Jubilee is a modern Marshall, not a classic one.  I've read that the V30 used in Marshall cabs is Marshall specific.  It's described as a "70w Celestion G12 Vintage" and is a UK made version with a different cone to the regular Chinese made V30.

Enjoy the Sherrff 22 SteveF - I'm a fan of the Sheriff 44  :sunglasses: 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveF said:
    Well it’s a moot point now, I just bought Thorpy’s Sheriff 22 and a 1x12 with a greenback in.
    Congrats!  Hope you like it!
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Cheers. I tried to resist but watched a load of reviews and got some major GAS. I couldn’t pass it up after that. 
  • ICBM said:
    Stick a Greenback, G12H-30, V30, Classic Lead 80, Creamback, or even a good old G12T-75 (never thought I would say that!) in any of them and instantly improve it...

Knew you'd come around :)  Old 80s G12T-75s of course :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Twinfan said:
    You should say what you mean then  ;)

And the Mini Jubilee is a modern Marshall, not a classic one.
    I did say what I mean :). The Mini Jubilee is a classic Marshall in the same way as a 2203 Reissue is a classic Marshall - old design, old voicing, slightly different circuit.

They've even reissued the JCM900 4100 now! So that might also count as a classic, which sounds weird when I remember when they first came out...

Twinfan said:

I've read that the V30 used in Marshall cabs is Marshall specific.  It's described as a "70w Celestion G12 Vintage" and is a UK made version with a different cone to the regular Chinese made V30.
    Yes, it's slightly brighter-sounding than a standard V30. I don't know if the cone is different or if it's just less heavily doped - that would also make it brighter. I'm not sure it's UK-made though, it would surprise me if it was since all Marshall's other 'special' speakers are Chinese.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    I followed this thread closely. What did it make me do?

It made me buy the Origin 20H that the most excellent @HHwarner had for sale in the classifieds, that's what it made me do. 

I've told my wife it was you lot wot made me do it. She's not best pleased with you all.

I suspect I'll be in the market for a boost or drive to take it up into 800 levels of tone too. That'll be on you lot as well and no mistake. 

B) 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well done @McToot  ! I already had my conversation about how this was my birthday present and she didn’t need to get me anything. I think I got away with it too.... maybe
    Incidentally, I build pedals for funsies and I’m a little tipsy so PM me your address and I’ll send you a boost pedal FOC. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    edited September 2018
    Hope you enjoy the amp @McToot, Im pretty sure you will ;-)
  • McToot said:

It made me buy the Origin 20H that the most excellent @HHwarner had for sale in the classifieds, that's what it made me do. 

I've told my wife it was you lot wot made me do it. She's not best pleased with you all.

I suspect I'll be in the market for a boost or drive to take it up into 800 levels of tone too. That'll be on you lot as well and no mistake. 

B) 
    Interesting. Those heads look good. Be sure and let us know what you think of it. And if it can make t to a jam to hear in the flesh, so much the better. 
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    McToot said:

B) 
    Interesting. Those heads look good. Be sure and let us know what you think of it. And if it can make t to a jam to hear in the flesh, so much the better. 
    Eh up feller. Not really had a chance to get to know it yet, at least not properly. It's base clean tone sounds lovely and it seems to take pedals well. There's precious little gain available until you get the power tubes properly chugging, but I'm guessing that it will sound sweet when I can actually turn the wick up. It's natural habitat is not the bedroom (front room in my case) which is where I play most. But it gives me an excuse to get to more jams and hook up with some of the Sussex/Surrey Fretboarders  for some loud fun...

Today I've been working from home trying all my guitars through it...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;)