Analogman Sunface alternatives...

What's Hot
jfraze5150jfraze5150 Frets: 262
I’m after a germanium sunface. But does anyone have an alternative Fuzzface clone they think compares? I obviously love those early Hendrix records but also love Marc Ford and Doyle Bramhall II. 

I’ve had a Mark II Fulltone ’69 before that I liked... having to unplug it annoyed me though. Please someone convince me that there is something out there that compares before I drop £200! 

Cheers! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    edited September 2018
    There are some chase tones in the classifieds that sound pretty good to me. The Solidgoldfx If6was9 came in a Ge version I think and were rated; some rate the JD mini FFs as well. Basic Audio probably do something - there’s one or two on here as well, though maybe more bender-y. 

Monsterpiece do a mean FF too. 

Castledine will do you a wicked FF for much the same as AM. Ghost might do so as well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MJM London Fuzz. Dark, germanium, lovely. Best with single coils. The silicon version is better for humbuckers. 

Silicon>germanium for me. 

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    Fuzzdog kit?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    Let me just clarify: you're willing to spend money trying to find a good sounding pedal because the one that you have and like needs to be plugged/unplugged?
    When I have my Octafuzz in the board I have to do the same and it doesn't seem such a hassle. Finding a good fuzz we like it's harder, I think. And it can get expensive too.
    You just want a new pedal. Be a man and admit it =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jota said:
    Let me just clarify: you're willing to spend money trying to find a good sounding pedal because the one that you have and like needs to be plugged/unplugged?
    When I have my Octafuzz in the board I have to do the same and it doesn't seem such a hassle. Finding a good fuzz we like it's harder, I think. And it can get expensive too.
    Haha! I don’t need your judgment! 

Im OCD about it. (Fulltone pun intended) I did like the ‘69 but sold it. I had a sunlion that I loved but sold when I needed the cash. I preferred the sunface side of the Sunlion to the ‘69. It seemed to work better with single and humbuckers. 
  • What version of the octafuzz do you have out of interest? I’ve seen a couple of the original big box versions going lately for a decent price. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Sunfaces are the best I've tried. Sorry, that didn't help!
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    Jota said:
    Haha! I don’t need your judgment! 

Im OCD about it. (Fulltone pun intended) I did like the ‘69 but sold it. I had a sunlion that I loved but sold when I needed the cash. I preferred the sunface side of the Sunlion to the ‘69. It seemed to work better with single and humbuckers. 
    I think you should save for the Sunface. Fuzzes are kind of complicated and it can be the rabbit hole trying to find that one.
    If you already found it, keep it. Save for the one you know works for you.
    I have the newer small box Octafuzz. Got it for a great price. Had it up for sale and almost sold it for a profit but I decided to keep it. I'm not using it at the moment but I know I will in the future.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    Oxfuzz are very good.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    FYI, Sunfaces can come with an on/off fuzz pot, so you don't have to unplug all the time.....if you remember to turn it off...(as learnt from experience!)
  • Do you only want germanium? I have a silicone OxFuzz I don’t use that I’d be willing to sell. I use a Fulltone 69 :) 

kinda depends what sounds you want. 
  • tekbow said:
    Oxfuzz are very good.
    I've been checking them out! They do look and sound great! Not much price difference really though with the Analogman stuff. 

• Lebarque said:
    FYI, Sunfaces can come with an on/off fuzz pot, so you don't have to unplug all the time.....if you remember to turn it off...(as learnt from experience!)
    Haha, yeah I'm aware. The Sunlion has the same thing. Very handy. 
  • Do you only want germanium? I have a silicone OxFuzz I don’t use that I’d be willing to sell. I use a Fulltone 69 :) 

kinda depends what sounds you want. 
    I much prefer germanium. One of the Mark II '69's? 
    edited September 2018
    tekbow said:
    Oxfuzz are very good.
    I've been checking them out! They do look and sound great! Not much price difference really though with the Analogman stuff. 
    What's he charging for them now? I used to be on the D*A*M forums where a lot of these guys hung out. Got mine when he wasn't long started so they were pretty reasonable and a good chunk cheaper than a sunface.

One of the transistors went bad in my NKT274 version, and he fixed it for free and converted to a hybrid at my request.

In any case, just IMO, a Germ FF is something you want to be prepared to pay a decent amount for.

Not because it's a complex circuit or a massive build, but because matching germanium transistors to the circuit, and tuning the circuit for them is a bit of a pain that's better done by a smaller builder like oxfuzz or A-man.
  • tekbow said:
    tekbow said:
    Oxfuzz are very good.
    What's he charging for them now? I used to be on the D*A*M forums where a lot of these guys hung out. Got mine when he wasn't long started so they were pretty reasonable and a good chunk cheaper than a sunface.

One of the transistors went bad in my NKT274 version, and he fixed it for free and converted to a hybrid at my request.

In any case, just IMO, a Germ FF is something you want to be prepared to pay a decent amount for.

Not because it's a complex circuit or a massive build, but because matching germanium transistors to the circuit, and tuning the circuit for them is a bit of a pain that's better done by a smaller builder like oxfuzz or A-man.
    Depending on the spec and trannies... about £140 - £200 but then postage and customs on top of that. Luckily my in-laws live in North Carolina so I’ll probabky get it posted there and they smuggle it across here when they come for Thanksgiving.

Generally though, the resale price of his stuff is ridiculous here (the U.K.) Folks paying £250+ for Beano Boosts when a new one costs £140! 

Theres a limited edition nkt275 OxFuzz for sale on eBay for £250 that I’m tempted by. Pretty set on the Sunface though. I agree with you about the simplicity of the circuit vs the experience of matching them. 
    edited September 2018

Sorry i meant whats the cost of getting a new oxfuzz shipped across, that whole reply was WRT to Oxfuzz.

Is that the Polished enclosure version NKT275? I've got one of those as well as the hybrid. First run he ever did of those was for the D*A*M Forum. 10 i think I've number one or 2.

i'll be honest, there's not much between a hybrid, 275 or 274, because of how ken builds and voices em. The hybrid and germ ones do the FF cleanup a lot better than the Si versions obviously.

I'll get mine out late and have a listen.

But there's nothing the Sunface will do that the oxfuzz doesn't, apart from having to open the back to adjust the bias.

• Oh! Sorry. 

Im not sure... I’ll look on his page. 

The one for sale is a hybrid. 

Its the clean up that I’m looking for really. 
    Oh! Sorry. 

Im not sure... I’ll look on his page. 

The one for sale is a hybrid. 

Its the clean up that I’m looking for really. 

Its a Hybrid with an NKT275 as the Germ portion? that'll be nice!
  • gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
    edited September 2018
    See if you’re looking for those sounds (and haven’t already tried one) I would seriously advise you to try the Dunlop Fuzzface Mini Hendrix FFM3

Its silicon but turns out that’s actually what Hendrix used most of the time and was he sound I had in my head all along

great pedal

ps. The clean up is amazing on it. Just leaves this sparkly sound that is instant Hendrix clean