A question to all of the Katana owners

What's Hot
Hi all.

Just wondering, is it possible to connect the Boss Katana to an external footswitch tjat controls individual effects? EG. If I wanted to kick in one of the drive effects and one of the reverb effects seperately is that possible without having to go up to the amp?
Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Provided you have one of the 100w amps and a GAFC (or a midi controller if using the head). 

Change the GAFC from channel mode to effects mode, then the individual switches toggle effects on and off. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If it is the 50 you’ll have to pre-program those specific sounds as your presets and then use a foot switch to scroll between them.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5748
    edited September 2018
    The V2 of the Fender Mustang iii or iv is designed to do just that with the 4 button footswitch. I’ve not had the chance to personally have a side by side play with a katana but while the approach is very different, the sounds seem quite simlair. 
  • Hi all.

Just wondering, is it possible to connect the Boss Katana to an external footswitch tjat controls individual effects? EG. If I wanted to kick in one of the drive effects and one of the reverb effects seperately is that possible without having to go up to the amp?
    Yes using the GAFC foot controller. What I do is set up the sound with the three allowed effects running (eg boost, delay, reverb) then on the footswitch I turn them off. Then I save the preset.

That way you can start with a preset with the tone you want, but easily kick in the saved effects. 

The foot controller has two modes. The first mode changes between the four presets and "panel" mode. The second mode engaged with the button on the right enables effects mode, where you can toggle effects, tap tempo and effects loop.

The foot controller also has two input for other pedals. You can add a footswitch that allows you to change to a second bank of presets. And you can add an expression pedal. Without setting it to a particular effect the expression pedal does volume. The neat thing I found was that if the pedal was assigned to wah, when the wah is disengaged the expression pedal defaults back to volume. 

• I'm not sure you can cycle through the 3 colours via the GAFC though.. you certainly can't via midi, it's on/off only.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• I'm not sure you can cycle through the 3 colours via the GAFC though.. you certainly can't via midi, it's on/off only.
    You can't, alas. 

You can't, alas. 
    yeah damn shame.. that, and the lack of tap tempo over midi..

It's a great sounding amp, but the dependancy on a PC/windows tablet is a pain.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Thanks guys. I may invest in one soon.

Deciding between the 50 and 100. 50 is obvs cheaper and I doubt I'd need 100w any time soon. But the footswitch options make the 100 more appealling despite what I deem to be a very expensive outlay for a footswitch.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • There are deals to be had on footswitch, I didn't pay full price. 

Worth getting the 100 for the better speaker and a few more bits of functionality. 

• Worth getting the 100 for the fx loop; I’m mixing pedals with amp effects and it seems to work well. 
  • The 100w combo sounds markedly better than the 50w too imo, definitely worth the extra expense.
  • If you decide you want to dip your toe before going for the full 100, drop me a pm. I’m only an hour away and am considering letting my 50 go as I always plug into my Princeton reverb first.
  • If you decide you want to dip your toe before going for the full 100, drop me a pm. I’m only an hour away and am considering letting my 50 go as I always plug into my Princeton reverb first.
    This is all anyone needs to know...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledick said:
    If you decide you want to dip your toe before going for the full 100, drop me a pm. I’m only an hour away and am considering letting my 50 go as I always plug into my Princeton reverb first.
    Yeah, sod all amps and buy a Princeton reverb. ;)
  • uncledick said:
    If you decide you want to dip your toe before going for the full 100, drop me a pm. I’m only an hour away and am considering letting my 50 go as I always plug into my Princeton reverb first.

The Princeton Reverb doesn't sound as good as the Katana at home levels, especially if you want some Overdrive. 
  • uncledick said:

The Princeton Reverb doesn't sound as good as the Katana at home levels, especially if you want some Overdrive. 
    It's not really a fair comparison either... there's a slight difference in price! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • ^this... Nearly every time the Katana the is criticized or compared the price is neglected. 
    My trading feedback