Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

For playing at home would you buy...

What's Hot

a) Roland Blues Cube Hot (standard or British EL84 Modified version)
or
b) Fender Super Champ X2?
or
c) something else

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Boss Katana 0.5W mode....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • helix native
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ totally this
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Full stack. At least that’s what I did. Though I am now looking for a 1x12 combo. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    For a while now I have either been plugging in to a PC in my office and using AmpliTube 4 or PodFarm 2.5, or in to my living room amp, a Blackstar ID Core 20

The thing is, like loads of other amps I have had, with too many options I just seem to bugger about.

With today’s arrival my plan is complete:

Marshall SL5 + Gibson R8

Nice and simple, but really quite good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphoto said:
    For a while now I have either been plugging in to a PC in my office and using AmpliTube 4 or PodFarm 2.5, or in to my living room amp, a Blackstar ID Core 20

The thing is, like loads of other amps I have had, with too many options I just seem to bugger about.

With today’s arrival my plan is complete:

Marshall SL5 + Gibson R8

Nice and simple, but really quite good.

This is what I would probably end up doing. arsing around too much to get the sounds I like rather than just plugging in playing. I do see the benefits of this technology but I am bit old school when it comes to guitar stuff..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I am aware of this but it's pretty ugly and the amp would need to get past the missus ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    c - a Vox digital modelling amp of some sort.

First because they sound the best of any of the modellers, to me... and second because they are pretty and so always OK with the missus :).

Try and get one which is large enough to have a power level control - they sound better at low volume than the smaller ones which don’t, possibly counter-intuitively. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    Did you get rid of the Blackstar HT1, what didn't you get from that - do you want effects on tap?  I loved the idea of a super champ x 2 and have tried them twice and both times thought meh.

If you are only using at home I don't see the point in a katana (sorry everyone) its just a louder vox adio or yamaha thr5 which takes up a lot of room.  I love my THR5 @darthed1981 I think has the adio and loves that.

For a valve amp I bought a princeton 68 which I love, slightly overkill for home but sounds terrific.  I have/had a 5 watt champ which did everything I needed just felt like an upgrade.
    Katana Head
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283

For me the answer to this was Fractal, not the cheapest I'll grant you.

Helix LT was my second choice and the used ones may be in your budget?

Failing that - I'd go Helix Native as above

• munckee said:
    Did you get rid of the Blackstar HT1, what didn't you get from that - do you want effects on tap?  I loved the idea of a super champ x 2 and have tried them twice and both times thought meh.

If you are only using at home I don't see the point in a katana (sorry everyone) its just a louder vox adio or yamaha thr5 which takes up a lot of room.  I love my THR5 @darthed1981 I think has the adio and loves that.

For a valve amp I bought a princeton 68 which I love, slightly overkill for home but sounds terrific.  I have/had a 5 watt champ which did everything I needed just felt like an upgrade.
    Still got it but the boy wants to play too now, so another amp is needed - and I fancy a change ;)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    Why not give an AC10 a whirl if EL84 is your thing, was on my amp shortlist, or an AC4 if AC10 is too loud.
  • For simple and sublime this is great for playing at home I think:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/129152/rift-tweed-5#latest

As a cheaper option, I'm also selling my Line 6 DT25 (and POD500) if you want every effect/amp sound known to man! 

PM me if of interest.  I can hand deliver to Berks.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    c) something else

A modeller. Then I can play at whatever volume I want, or even through headphones. Plus it will give me access to FX.
    dbphoto said:

What’s wrong with that. Music making isn’t just about learning songs and practicing techniques. It’s also about experimenting with new sounds.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreeze said:
    For simple and sublime this is great for playing at home I think:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/129152/rift-tweed-5#latest

As a cheaper option, I'm also selling my Line 6 DT25 (and POD500) if you want every effect/amp sound known to man! 

PM me if of interest.  I can hand deliver to Berks.
    Love that Rift, but I have a £400 voucher coming my way hence the thread, so I thought an amp would be good - I don't like buying new guitars..
  • munckee said:
    Why not give an AC10 a whirl if EL84 is your thing, was on my amp shortlist, or an AC4 if AC10 is too loud.
    Wouldn't mind something loud if I can attenuate 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Kemper!

Although I did get to try Helix Native and it was amazing
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    An Orange Rocker 15. 

Probably anything with a power switching mode. My Romany has one and its pure gold.
  • I've got a Vox Adio, THR10c and I'm weighing up a Helix LT but just trying to justify the expense. 

Despite having the THR for the last 3 years, the Vox is definitely a step up. Its louder, has better tones overall, and has more options. The THR is excellent but the Vox is better at almost everything. The reverb or delay option but not both is frustrating but not enough to keep the THR so I'm going to sell it. My next thought is to get a Helix. I've got a Zoom G3x which has been a great practice tool and for sticking in front of the THR for pedals but the Helix is so much better for tone that I'm tempted to spend the money. 

I'll probably play the helix through my headphones and the Adio and if not satisfied, but a set of monitor speakers for the house. Its not cheap but in comparison to some other hobbies, its not a lot.