Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

For playing at home would you buy...

What's Hot

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    5e3!!!! With a vac!

then you can gig it as well ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 851
    Either amp would be great, I'd probably get the Roland.
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    I didn’t say there was anything wrong with it @Roland ;

I will continue to use the modelling options I have, but most of the time now I just want to keep it simple.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    My stock answer is try a Pignose.  If you like what it does go for it, it is loud enough for home use.  No onboard FX, 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    My stock answer is try a Pignose.  If you like what it does go for it, it is loud enough for home use.  No onboard FX, 
    One came up on ebay the other day and I missed it 
  • I have a Blues Cube Hot and I love it. It sounds great to my old ears. Don't miss all the modelling stuff at all, just plug in and play. Occasionally I will stick a pedal or two in the mix just for fun but it doesn't need it. Usually loud enough on the 0.5w setting, but if the wife and neighbours are out I might wind it up a bit.
  • Well I’ve recently picked up a used Super Champ X2 and love it. Home use only at present and addition of different voices and trem/vib etc is great. What I have found over last few years having bought & sold a dozen used amps is that sound “on paper” is far less important than plugging your main guitar into amp. Slightly vintage looks crucial too for me. 
  • Steel String Dumble!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    Vox AC10C1. I got one recently and its a revelation. Gets loud very quickly, sounds great at home levels. I've had a couple of Superchamps (XD and X2) and they are also quite loud but great for home. 

Ain't tried the Blues Cube stuff but I'd imagine sounds pretty good too. 

Stock answer: If you can, try them out - I had no idea that the Vox was the "sound in my head" that I've been chasing for years with Fender amps cos I'd never played one before I got it. 
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I use a Helix and monitors. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Rocker said:
    Yes it has - it's got a built-in wah :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    c - a Vox digital modelling amp of some sort.

First because they sound the best of any of the modellers, to me... and second because they are pretty and so always OK with the missus :).

Try and get one which is large enough to have a power level control - they sound better at low volume than the smaller ones which don’t, possibly counter-intuitively. 

^^^ This.   I have 2 Boogies, an AC15 and a Cornell so I know a decent sound when I hear one.  The little Vox amps just work so well as a package.  Unbeatable home amp for the money.  
  • Kemper... :)
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited September 2018
    My "go to" Amp at home is usually my Rivera Jazz Suprema, though these days I'll also plug into one of my Rifts when I feel like it. Fortunately, I live on my own in a house with thick stone walls.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    edited September 2018
    My "go to" Amp at home is usually my Rivera Jazz Suprema, though these days I'll also plug into one of my Rifts when I feel like it. Fortunately, I live on my own in a house with thick stone walls.
    Thick stone walls, no kids or female interference........that's what dreams are made of.

Sorry to state the obvious, but isn't any amp that is  low/medium output fine if it has a decent taper on the volume. And an inefficient speaker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    AC4 with the 12" speaker, surprisingly loud. Great tone, fun with valve rolling, small, looks great and easy to sell.

• kt66 said:
    AC4 with the 12" speaker, surprisingly loud. Great tone, fun with valve rolling, small, looks great and easy to sell.

But is it quiet too  :#
  • uncledick said:
    ICBM said:
    c - a Vox digital modelling amp of some sort.

First because they sound the best of any of the modellers, to me... and second because they are pretty and so always OK with the missus :).

Try and get one which is large enough to have a power level control - they sound better at low volume than the smaller ones which don’t, possibly counter-intuitively. 

^^^ This.   I have 2 Boogies, an AC15 and a Cornell so I know a decent sound when I hear one.  The little Vox amps just work so well as a package.  Unbeatable home amp for the money.  
    AC4??
  • scarry67 said:
    Well I’ve recently picked up a used Super Champ X2 and love it. Home use only at present and addition of different voices and trem/vib etc is great. What I have found over last few years having bought & sold a dozen used amps is that sound “on paper” is far less important than plugging your main guitar into amp. Slightly vintage looks crucial too for me. 
    The versatility appeals to me too
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Zoolooter said:

Sorry to state the obvious, but isn't any amp that is  low/medium output fine if it has a decent taper on the volume. And an inefficient speaker.
    The key is the taper on the volume control - if it’s good both for the actual change of volume and for not strangling the tone at low settings then it will work no matter how powerful the amp.

You don’t need an inefficient speaker either - I often find powerful amps with more efficient speakers can sound better at very low volume. I usually find lower-power amps and low-efficiency speakers are better for cranking up at moderate volume - at low volumes they can often sound boxy and a bit constricted.

Not always true, obviously - there are plenty of amps of all sizes that just don’t sound good until they get up to a certain volume, but then even low-powered ones will usually be too loud to play at home.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom