Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Q418C - Mike builds an amp and tries not to die // 5E3 build now in progress!

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
edited January 2019 in Making & Modding
So after much umming and ahhing about pedals and whatever, ive decided to be brave and do something new and scary and maybe even learn something in the process. So im going to build a valve amp, life-threatening-voltages and all.

I’ve built plenty of pedal kits, so i know which end of a soldering iron is which, but have never done anything much with amps and would like to learn, so here we are. My only previous amp-related experience is limited to an attempted mod on an Epi Valve Jr which i never got working, and a simple attenuator which actually did work very well, so i’m hoping it's closer to the latter than the former. 

Having been (quite sensibly) warned off doing anything too complex, i’m looking at Fender Tweed circuits, with a 5e3 the most likely candidate, and I’ll most likely add a power scaling option in there too, since I live in an apartment and don’t want to get evicted! 

After much reading I’m keen on the Trinity kits, as they seem to be at the top end in terms of quality of components, documentation and online support! As I say, I think a 5e3 seems the best candidate as both a simple, classic circuit, but also an end result I can see myself enjoying. 

Watch this space... and please do give any advice and/encouragement!!

EDIT: Build stuff starts here : http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2116380/#Comment_2116380
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28033
    There's a really simple one for soldering irons. You know for screwdrivers you've got Lefty-loosey, Righty-tighty? For soldering irons it's Coldy-holdy. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Wis for that. I recall forgetting that irons stay hot after you pick them up once, resulting in a burn to my hand, the carpet and a some of the fluffy bit inside a guitar case. I have managed to remember ever since..!
  • Best pieces of advice I can give (after the obvious) is always work with your non-dominant hand in your back pocket... and never touch an amp until you have completely confirmed via a DC meter that no charge remains in any of the caps once disconnected from the supply.

I built a 5E3 and managed to survive - I did however do it under the watchful glance of Barry Vyse and am glad I did so.

Good luck and safety first!

Si
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    Nice.. I'm going to do one sooner or later. Good luck i'm looking forward to the build thread. 
    Is there a UK distributor for Trinity amp kits ?
  • mli3 said:
    Nice.. I'm going to do one sooner or later. Good luck i'm looking forward to the build thread. 
    Is there a UK distributor for Trinity amp kits ?
    I don't think they have anyone in the UK, but I'm in the UAE, so well used to importing things from afar! 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2374
    Sporky said:
    There's a really simple one for soldering irons. You know for screwdrivers you've got Lefty-loosey, Righty-tighty? For soldering irons it's Coldy-holdy. 

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2374
    Be interesting to watch this one, fancy building one myself at some point 
  • Still half tempted by a blackface something-or-other, but also keen to stick with something tried & tested and well understood as a first build.

MrsF was slightly alarmed at the suggestion of "life endangering voltages", but seemed more concerned that I might burn the building down rather than that I may put myself in any danger. So that's nice :)
  • Right, have had some decent dialogue with Trinity, and international shipping is not too silly apart from the speaker, which is heavy and expensive. So I'll hopefully have something ordered this weekend. Then hopefully it'll arrive in time for my to receive before I go on holiday in 2 weeks.

Not sure what to do on speakers. Thomann will ship me a Celestion Blue for vaguely non-stupid prices, so that might be the best route. Meant to be good in this amp, and I'm 99% sure I'd use it in future anyway - would v much like to try my Badcat through one as well.
  • PVO_Dave said:
    Sporky said:

Looks like she’s just about to solder the battery in.

Is that the TINY factory?
  • Back from holibobs, paid the credit card bill, and now can think about amps... 

What do people think about speakers for 5e3? Celestion Blue probably the obvious choice?
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    My first amp kit was a trinity 18watt plexi, great kit and there wasn't much over here at the time

If i got another kit I'd probably go modulus now, Mike's a nice guy and it's over here, i bought individual components from him since then to scratch build 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • @customkits ;Good to know, cheers. I'm in the UAE, so whatever I go for will be an import. TBH I like the idea of the clear instructions that come with the Trinity stuff. I'm keen to learn the electronics in a bit more detail to understand what I'm doing, but anything that helps me get it right first time is ok by me :)
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    @customkits ;Good to know, cheers. I'm in the UAE, so whatever I go for will be an import. TBH I like the idea of the clear instructions that come with the Trinity stuff. I'm keen to learn the electronics in a bit more detail to understand what I'm doing, but anything that helps me get it right first time is ok by me :)
    Trinty forum is really good too and as you say the instructions are great, the trinity amp has been brilliant since day one, they're doing some nice small different amps, i think one is based on a Hiwatt
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    PVO_Dave said:
    Sporky said:

I'd let her touch the tip of my hot tool.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have ordered a thing. Watch this space :D 
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    Good luck with the second part of the thread title.  Keep us informed.  
  • Shipping wednesday! Still need to source a speaker...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    We have tweed in the house and a speaker on the way from Chicago :)

Lego tractor for scale:

TWEED! 

Max wants in the box already. I've told him it's not happening till the weekend at the earliest.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Progress! 

Today I opened everything up properly. The cabinet is really nicely made, and lacquered to a really nice colour. 

All the gubbins were supplied inside the cab. Everything is here except the speaker, which is coming separately.

First step was to check I actually have everything, and read all the instructions (they're here, and they're very comprehensive, if anyone is interested!)