NAD - Vox AC4 Handwired

redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 745
edited September 2018 in Amps
I had an AC15HW1 for a short while a few months back. It was lovely, but big for a 1x12 and pretty heavy (I have a bad back so this matters). So I moved it on when someone was after one.   It sounded great, though, and so when I spotted this little AC4HW1 for sale locally I thought I'd give it a blast. And boy is it lovely.  Not used it at rehearsal volumes yet, but played loud at home it sounds fantastic. Plays beautifully with the ODs, reverbs and delays on my HX Effects, has a decent amount of clean headroom, plenty of gain when required.and has a foot switchable hot mode which soars (love that I can control this with the HX too, flicking off reverb, flicking on a delay, and engaging the hot mode all with one press of a switch).  And despite being a 1x12, all in a tiny and very lightweight (13.5kg) little package.

Next step is to give it a blast at rehearsal volume. For gigs where it is mic'ed, I reckon it'll perform beautifully, though we'll see how it goes at rehearsal with a full band.

Very happy.

https://i.imgur.com/kuWGtpj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/us5p1pR.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5654
    I’ve never played one of these but always wanted to. Many congratulations on a nice addition, sounds like a happy ending 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited September 2018
    I did have the loan of an AC4 head and 1x12 matching cab with Celestion Greenback for a while. I liked it and it was great for getting a nice cranked Vox tone at bedroom volumes. 

Conversely, it's early break up even on the 4w setting meant you couldn't really get a decent clean tone from it at volume.  

And whilst it was surprisingly loud for it's size, I'm not sure how well it would cope in a rehearsal or gigging situation not just from a volume perspective but also its early break-up.  I'd be interested in hearing how the hand wired version differs.  I'm guessing it will be quieter and perhaps with a bit more clean headroom?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5654
    I’ve had the head and cab version. Loved the amp, the cab was much less impressive. I’d always assumed they are very different amps to the hand wired series?
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    Congratulations.

I do love the sound of my AC15 cranked but even on half power it’s obnoxiously loud. I think having the Blue really makes a difference.