Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gig bags.....

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Boromedic said:
    Check out Fusion Gig Bags, made in the UK and great quality for the money. They still aren't cheap but not as expensive as a Mono either.
    I've got a couple of Monos, but a friend I saw the other day on the bus had a Fusion, which he highly rates. I hadn't seen one before but it looked very good - and has a neat waterproof 'hood' which seems to have been designed for Scottish weather :).

Rabs said:
    The ironic thing about these is that they’re actually not bad... for any guitar *other* than a Gibson. I would never use one for a Gibson, they actively stress the neck and headstock because they’re too straight and have no neck support.

But anyone who still thinks gig bags are no good really needs to wake up and see what’s available at the higher end... or try carrying a hard case on public transport, or on foot for any distance. The best gig bags are much better than a cheap hard case, and probably better than even a good one for protecting against anything other than crushing or bending.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    I have a mono an it is a very good case, but it annoys me how little it opens. My tele switch always suffer a bit whenever I pull it from the case. You can also check fusion or "reunion blues" cases. There are other brands of similar quality but I forget the name now.
  • I know the Monos are expensive and when I bought mine it felt a bit extravagant but I've never regretted it and would buy another if stolen.  It should last for years, it's used for every rehearsal and gig, it gives as much protection as I'll ever need (I'm not chucking it into the back of transits or anything these days) and it's a lot more comfortable to lug around than a hard case.  I think value for money over its lifetime will be very good.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong,  but another thing I'd say is that in a period when prices of guitars have rocketed Mono seem to have held their prices pretty steady over the past 2-3 years?  One option especially if you're using it for Fender type guitars and/or not doing anything that puts the instrument at much risk is the Mono sleeve, very stylish, lighter than the full fat Monos, and currently £119 from GAK.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Just buy a Hiscox and attach the shoulder strap :)
    Just buy a Hiscox and attach the shoulder strap :)
    Still an absolute pig on a bus or tube, or walking any distance with it on your back banging around.

Not long ago I walked about two miles with my Mono (and bass inside) on, just to see how comfortable it would be - I'd missed a bus by a minute, so I simply walked along the route until the next one caught up with me. No problem at all - it was like a well-fitting rucksack... because it basically is.

And you get a lot more pocket space in a gig bag than you do in a hard case too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Just buy a Hiscox and attach the shoulder strap :)
    Still an absolute pig on a bus or tube, or walking any distance with it on your back banging around.

Not long ago I walked about two miles with my Mono (and bass inside) on, just to see how comfortable it would be - I'd missed a bus by a minute, so I simply walked along the route until the next one caught up with me. No problem at all - it was like a well-fitting rucksack... because it basically is.

And you get a lot more pocket space in a gig bag than you do in a hard case too.
    It's the crushing and bending aspect that terrifies me!
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I have the Gator Pro which houses 2 guitars and its brillant. I couldnt afford a mono in any way shape so this does a great, well padded job. 

Ive handled loads of guitar cases working at guitar shows and only non premium (i.e mono) cases Id buy would be a PRS SE case. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    StuartMac290 said:

It hardly ever applies in the real world though, outside of a van or an airport - bumps are the main thing you need to protect against. If you just carry your own case or put it in a car with you, when will it get crushed or bent?

I'd also take a bet that a good gig bag is *better* protection against the most common cause of in-the-case damage, which is a Gibson case falling over and the headstock snapping under its own inertia. A soft, well-padded bag is less likely to do that than a hard case.

Don't try this with a hard case...

• I really liked the Warwick Rockbags. Well padded, lots of pockets and the straps held up well. Could get them for around £40 I think
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    MONO all the way for me..i picked up a couple 2n hand for around £90-100  fantastic gigbag
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3528
    skunkwerx said:
    What guitar is it for? If its a strat or tele, the fender hardcases are about £120? Dunno how slim they are though. 
    Strat
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    nope...
  • ICBM said:
    StuartMac290 said:

It hardly ever applies in the real world though, outside of a van or an airport - bumps are the main thing you need to protect against. If you just carry your own case or put it in a car with you, when will it get crushed or bent?

I'd also take a bet that a good gig bag is *better* protection against the most common cause of in-the-case damage, which is a Gibson case falling over and the headstock snapping under its own inertia. A soft, well-padded bag is less likely to do that than a hard case.

Don't try this with a hard case...

7 times out of 10 mine goes in a splitter van, and even the other times they'll be sharing the boot with at least one amp in a flight case - would a Mono gigbag still be protection enough in those circumstances?

Genuinely interested - having recently had the pleasure of carting a Gretsch and a Martin acoustic around London in Hiscox cases I know it gets old very quickly
    StuartMac290 said:

7 times out of 10 mine goes in a splitter van, and even the other times they'll be sharing the boot with at least one amp in a flight case - would a Mono gigbag still be protection enough in those circumstances?
    That is a bit borderline... if you can guarantee that the case is always on top and can’t fall down between any of the solid cases then yes, otherwise probably unwise to risk it with anything more fragile than a Fender-type guitar.

• Ritter? I have one for my Epi Dot & it’s seems well padded, etc. 
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited September 2018
    Greatape said:
    I just got the same mono from those guys .. no problems whatsoever.
    There's another 5% when you sign-up so it ended up £140 delivered.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    My Gibson gig bag wows people any time I use it. It's leather on the outside and furry in the inside and quite rigid.

Not sure if they're available to buy separately.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    Boromedic said:
    Check out Fusion Gig Bags, made in the UK and great quality for the money. They still aren't cheap but not as expensive as a Mono either.
    I've got a couple of Monos, but a friend I saw the other day on the bus had a Fusion, which he highly rates. I hadn't seen one before but it looked very good - and has a neat waterproof 'hood' which seems to have been designed for Scottish weather :).

Rabs said:
    The ironic thing about these is that they’re actually not bad... for any guitar *other* than a Gibson. I would never use one for a Gibson, they actively stress the neck and headstock because they’re too straight and have no neck support.

But anyone who still thinks gig bags are no good really needs to wake up and see what’s available at the higher end... or try carrying a hard case on public transport, or on foot for any distance. The best gig bags are much better than a cheap hard case, and probably better than even a good one for protecting against anything other than crushing or bending.
    I often have to walk with my hard case and it is a right pain, very heavy and awkward.

Before I got the case, there was an incident where the neck of my bass almost got closed in a studio door. I think it would have snapped but a case would have protected it. I think that's why I would be too nervous to use a gig bag for gigging, I only use one for very occasional transporting of guitars to shops etc.

Are there any bags you think would protect the neck from something like that?
    thegummy said:

I often have to walk with my hard case and it is a right pain, very heavy and awkward.

Before I got the case, there was an incident where the neck of my bass almost got closed in a studio door. I think it would have snapped but a case would have protected it. I think that's why I would be too nervous to use a gig bag for gigging, I only use one for very occasional transporting of guitars to shops etc.

Are there any bags you think would protect the neck from something like that?
    Yes - Mono.

I carry my Rickenbacker bass in one all the time, it doesn’t worry me at all.

You’re also far less likely to have something like that happen because it will be carried vertically on your shoulder.