2018 Les Paul Gold Top Classic - P90's - any views?

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
I would like a  Gold TopLP with P90's and was dribbling over the 1968 example at @ATB_Guitars but it's a little outside the scope of my piggy bank at the moment, without selling vital organs, preferably not mine, obviously. The 2018 model looks nice, but I'm no Les Paul expert, so - good, bad or indifferent? I should say that I am a P90 fan. Cheers

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader

I would say it mainly depends on what sort of neck profile you like..

Classics have a slim taper neck which not everyone likes.. I personally love them myself...

And yes..  P90s RULE 

Theres also some years where they did a Tribute Goldtop which I also have one of   D They did those in some years with the option of a 50s (fat) or 60s (slim) neck.

If you like fatter necks, look for a LP Traditional.

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Cheers Rabs. I've got guitars with slim, medium and chunky necks - on balance, I prefer slim necks, so that sounds interesting. I have 7 P90 equipped guitars as we speak, so I'm a bit of a fan. The demos that I've heard have mainly been with distortion, but I'm after a more bluesy/jazzy/old school type of tone. Am I barking up the right tree?
    Call me Dave.
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader

Yes.... P90s used the right way are capable of all of that as are most pickups if you know what settings to use.. (a lot of that comes down to technique anyway).

I was just having a look around..  There arnt that many GT options at the moment but I found this on a German music site.. Its a Less Plus which means its at thinner Les Paul.. Ive always been pretty interested in them.

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Gibson-Les-Paul-Less-Plus-P-90-GT-Gold-Top/art-GIT0034365-000?campaign=keyword/GB&ProgramUUID=UF_AqJartfQAAAFlJkByjI.G&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9InKjITN3QIVir3tCh3LTwBVEAMYASAAEgLyxfD_BwE

But yeah if you like slim necks id say its a very good choice.. Much better value than a Standard in most cases.

This is a very good video about how to use the controls on a Gibson

Interesting - by the way, I've just seen your website. Superb. Most of my P90s are on 40's and '50's Gibsons, but I have one on a Godin Kingpin (very ES-125-esque) and on a ES-295 reissue - they mostly all sound different, but the ES-295 ones are more reminiscent of the old Franz pickups in tone. I'll be interested to hear what they sound like on a modern solid bodied guitar. 
    Call me Dave.
    tFB Trader
    DB1 said:
    Interesting - by the way, I've just seen your website. Superb. Most of my P90s are on 40's and '50's Gibsons, but I have one on a Godin Kingpin (very ES-125-esque) and on a ES-295 reissue - they mostly all sound different, but the ES-295 ones are more reminiscent of the old Franz pickups in tone. I'll be interested to hear what they sound like on a modern solid bodied guitar. 

Ha, yes I have a thing for P90s and love Humbucker sized P90s.. I just tend to get really good results from them..

I do have demos

These are Gibson P90s

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5417
    £1399 at Guitarguitar now... if you like that neck then there’s never been a better time...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Rabs said:
    DB1 said:

Ha, yes I have a thing for P90s and love Humbucker sized P90s.. I just tend to get really good results from them..

I do have demos

These are Gibson P90s

That's impressive, and that's me sorted out with more videos to watch. 
    Call me Dave.
    Whitecat said:
    £1399 at Guitarguitar now... if you like that neck then there’s never been a better time...
    You just had to, didn't you?! Thanks  :-)
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • £1199 for Pelham Blue.…
  • Don't rule out a McCarty Soapbar.  
    Hmm - I'm actually passing by Richtone tomorrow. Well, when I say 'passing by', I mean 'going there'. 
    Call me Dave.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    edited September 2018
    The 2018 les paul classics are actually really good, very well built , i bought a gold top one recently from richtone in their summer sale
    leerocker said:
    The 2018 les paul classics are actually really good, very well built , i bought a gold top one recently from richtone in their summer sale
    Cheers Lee - you know my taste in stuff, obviously(!) and I've been looking at the one on @ATB_Guitars website, but a few would have to go for that one - possibly the ES-5. I'd love the '68, but might have to set my sights a bit lower, I reckon. I'll give the 2018 one a look. Erm.... you're not selling yours, are you? :-) 
    Call me Dave.
  • DB1 said:
    leerocker said:
    Cheers Lee - you know my taste in stuff, obviously(!) and I've been looking at the one on @ATB_Guitars website, but a few would have to go for that one - possibly the ES-5. I'd love the '68, but might have to set my sights a bit lower, I reckon. I'll give the 2018 one a look. Erm.... you're not selling yours, are you? :-) 
    Already gone buddy!
    im sticking to a 4 guitar rule now which is  gretsches and a 335 as i am pretty much rockabilly full on these days and not much else, i am not really a solid body guy anymore but it felt just as good as some custom shop les pauls i have had in the past and the finish was very well done for a cheapo gibson, i have seen worse jobs on the custom shop stuff
    Ah, fair enough. As you know, my tastes don't include many solid bodies, but it's the P90 thing that attracts me, although I'm supposed to be selling not buying! The .ES150 and the Zephyr went a couple of days after you were here, but the 1938 ES150 turned up on the Friday. Wonderful!
    Call me Dave.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    edited September 2018
    Nice guitars but just run a good eye over the one you buy. I'm currently waiting on my second replacement.

The first one went back to Gibson because the nut was awful, high e cut way too close to the edge. Gibson took a month to deem it irrrepairable, so I assume there was more going on there. I bought that one unseen, chose it because it was the lightest as this models weight can stray towards 11 pounds which is too much for me.

Gibson sent me a replacement which was way too heavy for my taste, plus had two finish flaws which I was disappointed with seen as though they knew this was going to be a replacement. That ones gone back to GG now and I'm waiting on another replacement from them.

Despite all of this I still think it's a bargain for the price, just make sure you get a good one! 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited September 2018
    I think the Classic range from the last 2-3 years has run too heavy. Just look on the wildwood website or others that weigh all their guitars. 10lbs is about average. It’s a shame as I’d otherwise be interested in the Goldtop.
    Yes, good points, thanks. Being a 'bedroom' player, I tend to play sitting down, so not so much of an issue, but definitely worth noting, and I think 'try before you buy' could be a sensible approach. 
    Call me Dave.
  • TINMAN82 said:
    I think the Classic range from the last 2-3 years has run too heavy. Just look on the wildwood website or others that weigh all their guitars. 10lbs is about average. It’s a shame as I’d otherwise be interested in the Goldtop.
    You're right. The original goldtop I got was 9 pounds 4 ounces which isn't far off the lightest I've seen for this model. The one Gibson sent was at least 10 pounds, probably more.

The third one I'm waiting on is 9 pound 7, just going to have to go with it. Still a lot better than the 11 pound plus 89 custom it replaces! All of these feels like feathers compared to that.