Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Wolf Alice win Mercury Prize

What's Hot
AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
edited September 2018 in Music
And well deserved imo. I haven’t heard all the nominations so can’t do a direct comparison, but Visions Of A Life was one of my favourite albums of last year. You can debate how original they are - but here’s a young, British, female fronted, guitar based band who are great live and have strong songwriting skills. They also have a sense of humour, which is sadly lacking in so many acts now.
So there you go people -a number two U.K. album which the critics love and features predominant guitars. If you haven’t heard it then I suggest you do.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I have to admit that I have a great deal of distain for the Mercury Prize. I tend to bracket most of the type of bands that get nominated as turgid sh*te of the highest order. Having said that, upon your recommendation I shall check the band out and give them an unbiased listen. 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    @axisus Good man. I’m from the school of ‘don’t knock it until you’ve heard it’, myself. Hope you like them! 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I thought their debut was one of the best albums of the last 10 years, was so looking forward to the follow up but haven’t bonded with it as well, still some great moments though, so I’m really pleased they won it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    edited September 2018
    Very good news, they make a glorious racket that sounds like my 90s teenage years. Saw them in Kentish Town Forum a few years ago and they were superb.
  • I was rooting for Nadine Shah as she's from the same little village as me and went to the same school as me. My wife was good friends with her back in the day. (Beat that for shit, tenuous celebrity-related factoid of the day, I dare ya!)

Still, glad that Wolf Alice won over tired old acts like Noel (f**king) Gallagher.
  • Listened to it a bit for a couple of week when it came out, thought it was pretty good, but no desire to go back to it.  Feel as though albums winning these awards should be potential classics, but I can't imagine people still listening to this in 20 years time.  Not bad, but if this is the best of 2018 I can't help but feel it's not a great era for popular music.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Very good news, they make a glorious racket that sounds like my 90s teenage years. Saw them in Kentish Town forum a few years ago and they were superb.
    I agree that there’s definitely a 90s vibe to them. Edgier than Sleeper though. ;)
  • Some good albums amongst the nominations. Some i hadn’t heard and have since checked out which is what i always loved about The Mercury’s. Wolf Alice’s album is really good, i was pleased to see them win. Thought Nadine Shahs and Arctic Monekys were really strong personal. 
  • AlexC said:
    Very good news, they make a glorious racket that sounds like my 90s teenage years. Saw them in Kentish Town forum a few years ago and they were superb.
    I agree that there’s definitely a 90s vibe to them. Edgier than Sleeper though. ;)
    Sleeper were alright, but a sponge tennis ball is edgier. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I've tried liking them but they just sound like a Sonic Youth meets The Breeders mash up.
  • I've never understood the Mercury Prize, just very random. If anything it seems like an exercise in who is coolest this year which then tends to put me off anyone involved. 
    Still, I have no idea what Wolf Alice sound like but I like the name. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Listened to it a bit for a couple of week when it came out, thought it was pretty good, but no desire to go back to it.  Feel as though albums winning these awards should be potential classics, but I can't imagine people still listening to this in 20 years time.  Not bad, but if this is the best of 2018 I can't help but feel it's not a great era for popular music.
    I felt pretty much the same. They seem to get a huge amount of love here, and I was expecting great things, but I just thought it was a bit... ordinary. I haven't heard the first album, and now I have no real interest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonic said:
    I've tried liking them but they just sound like a Sonic Youth meets The Breeders mash up.
    And this is a bad thing because.....?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    octatonic said:
    And this is a bad thing because.....?
    LOL- actually that is a good point.

• King Krule was my choice from the shortlist. Buy my album of the year from britain & ireland is Le Kov by Gwenno. 
  • I'll have to check them out.. never heard of them!
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited September 2018
    When it comes to music what has age, gender or nationality got to do with it? A piece of art is what it is. I can see the guitar label being useful for astethic purposes, as it identifies the type of sound palette used. Some people prefer watercolors over oils on canvas, etc.. 

BTW Wolf Alice are pretty good!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • King Krule was my choice from the shortlist. Buy my album of the year from britain & ireland is Le Kov by Gwenno. 
    Sorry, but I much prefer King Creosote 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    dindude said:
    I thought their debut was one of the best albums of the last 10 years, was so looking forward to the follow up but haven’t bonded with it as well, still some great moments though, so I’m really pleased they won it.
    Pretty much my thoughts too. I can't get into the new album like I did the first one which I think is brilliant.
  • Wolf Alice?
    Had a listen. Bit bored now.
    Think I'll go and do the washing up. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom